Question HDD

May 12, 2024
I have a WD Green hard drive from 2014 so it's 10 years old and is 5,400 RPM And around summer time I want to get a WD Blue which is 7200 RPM and I'm wondering how big the difference is going to be speed-wise

USAFRet

Titan
I have a WD Green hard drive from 2014 so it's 10 years old and is 5,400 RPM And around summer time I want to get a WD Blue which is 7200 RPM and I'm wondering how big the difference is going to be speed-wise
It will be "faster".
The WD Green was one of the worst HDDs from the major manufacturers.

But, replacing that with a WD Blue is still miles slower than a simple SATA SSD.

What is the rest of this system, and what do you use it for?

May 12, 2024
It will be "faster".
The WD Green was one of the worst HDDs from the major manufacturers.

But, replacing that with a WD Blue is still miles slower than a simple SATA SSD.

What is the rest of this system, and what do you use it for?
I have a Samsung 970 m.2 which is my OS drive and I had a 128 gig kingfast F10 which I learned is a terrible SSD but I got it in an old computer I got a couple years ago (same for the HDD) and my OS deleted itself so my 970 is my OS drive now. I have an R5 5600, RX6600 8gb, coolermaster ml120, 16gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX, and a B450. This is a mid-range PC that I use for gaming

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Now I do put some games on it (horrendous load times) And that's one of the main reasons I want to go to a WD Blue
The WD Blue is a good HDD, and it's cheap mass storage. For games, an SSD is faster but it depends on the game. For some games it doesn't matter.

But i think you're making a mistake buying the higher rpm model. The 5400rpm is slower but the difference is NOT going to be very noticeable. The slower drive is also quieter which makes a difference unless you like hearing the HDD crunching sounds.
Lastly, the 5400rpm Blue is a little bit more reliable, though both will probably last another 10 years so it's not much.

I do have a 4Tb Blue, and i'm happy with it. It's slow, but it doesn't bother me. The OS is on a NVMe and the way windows caches frequently used applications helps load times. Also games.
It's almost impossible to hear it, though that may be the case and the soft pads used.

Edit - Also, check out Toshiba's HDDs.

May 12, 2024
The WD Blue is a good HDD, and it's cheap mass storage. For games, an SSD is faster but it depends on the game. For some games it doesn't matter.

But i think you're making a mistake buying the higher rpm model. The 5400rpm is slower but the difference is NOT going to be very noticeable. The slower drive is also quieter which makes a difference unless you like hearing the HDD crunching sounds.
Lastly, the 5400rpm Blue is a little bit more reliable, though both will probably last another 10 years so it's not much.

I do have a 4Tb Blue, and i'm happy with it. It's slow, but it doesn't bother me. The OS is on a NVMe and the way windows caches frequently used applications helps load times. Also games.
It's almost impossible to hear it, though that may be the case and the soft pads used.

Edit - Also, check out Toshiba's HDDs.
Is there a specific model(s) that you would recommend