[SOLVED] Hdmi to VGA not working with projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2018
Hi! I bought a HDMI to VGA dongle that also supports a 3.5mm audio jack, and i am trying to get it to work with my projector. I need HDMI due to the fact that my primary computer does not have any VGA inputs.

However, this doesn't seem to work with the HDMI dongle. When i connect the vga to the projector, it says that the input signal is not supported.

Later on i tried using a monitor with the same setup, and it worked!

I was wondering why the projector doesn't support this HDMI conversion. Does the HDMI output a different signal to the VGA cable?

Note: When i used a VGA cable directly from an older computer (with Windows 10), the projector worked fine.

Projector: 3M SCP716
Dongle: HAMA Konverter for VGA with 3.5mm jack

Thank you for reading.

Albert

Solution
SOLVED: The problem was with the refresh rate that my HDMI put out from my computer. I changed this by going in on screen resolution, going into advanced screensettings, and changed the frequency to 69 Hz, which i found online. When i did this, i could just change the resolution to the recommended resolution, and bam, good to go.

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
It must have something to do with how your dongle is converting the signal, so, while your monitor is perfectly capable of reading it, your projector doesn't have the tech to do it. I'd look for adapters with reviews from others using projectors that say that it worked for them.

Oct 23, 2018

Thank you for a quick response!

I have looked at several reviews, but they don't really go in-depth on the hdmi to vga connection. Ive looked through different manuals and such for the device, but i cant really find any reason why it wouldn't work. I even tried changing the resolution on my own computer as a way to see if that could be the issue, with no success.

My computer is an i7 with a Gtx 1070 card

The projector displays: "Input format not supported".

Oct 23, 2018
SOLVED: The problem was with the refresh rate that my HDMI put out from my computer. I changed this by going in on screen resolution, going into advanced screensettings, and changed the frequency to 69 Hz, which i found online. When i did this, i could just change the resolution to the recommended resolution, and bam, good to go.

Solution

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Glad you got your issue fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.