[SOLVED] HDMI vs DP for docking stations

DNTLSS RNGR

Prominent
May 28, 2019
Hi,

I’m saying goodbye to my gaming desktop for college and replacing it with an XPS 13. I have 2 QHD, 144hz monitors, but after looking into docking stations, none of them support 144hz. So what’s the point of finding a dock with dual DP over dual HDMI. The only advantage of DP over HDMI that I know of, is being able to push 144hz. Are there any other benefits?

Solution
The difference would be that the standard made for HDMI is pretty old, Display Port came along to improve upon the platform and ofc you had higher res's being supported. You might also want to factor in that manufacturer's of XYZ docks can implement a Display port or an HDMI port without all the necessary max bandwidth yet still advertise that there's a port there to connect to.

Might want to read through this article.

Links to docks you're looking at...?

Lutfij

Titan
The difference would be that the standard made for HDMI is pretty old, Display Port came along to improve upon the platform and ofc you had higher res's being supported. You might also want to factor in that manufacturer's of XYZ docks can implement a Display port or an HDMI port without all the necessary max bandwidth yet still advertise that there's a port there to connect to.

Might want to read through this article.

Links to docks you're looking at...?

Solution