Question Headphone makes static noise when on desk

DylanvdHurk

Commendable
Jul 17, 2020
Hello everybody,

There is a problem that I have with my headphones.
Every time that I put my laptop on my desk my headphones start making static noise.
It doesn't do this when I place it anywhere else in my room or the house.
It also does this with every other pair of headphones/earbuds I tried.
If I've got nothing plugged in but the headphones it starts as a slight hum, but the more I plug into it the more static noise I get.
Anybody got any idea what it might be?

EDIT: Don't know if this will help but my desk is basically a long thick piece of wood and 4 metal pillars in each corner

DylanvdHurk

Commendable
Jul 17, 2020
"the more I plug in....."

What other devices are you plugging in and where? "Where" meaning other outlets, power strips, surge protectors.

I am thinking ground loop.

Moving your post to Home Audio....

I've got a extra monitor plugged into a power strip but the static noise starts even without that plugged in.

Ralston18

Titan
"Unplugged" - monitor or power strip?

Try to turn off and many things as you can and get to a "no static noise". Then turn things on one at a time to determine if the static noise can be linked to one particular device.

And I am also thinking about those metal legs. Are they in touch with any wires, metal pipes, etc.? Do any of the audio cords go around or near those legs.

What happens if you, while listening to the static noise, touch various metal legs? Touch individual legs and in some combinations. Does the static noise change in any manner?