Question Headphone Sound between PC and Xbox HDMI Inputs

JoeFig44

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
I have an LG OLED as a monitor.
I have my PC on one HDMI input, my Xbox Series X on another.

I'd like to get some wireless gaming headphones that seamlessly allow sound to switch between PC and Xbox Series X so that when I stop playing a game on PC and can instantly play a game on the Xbox.

Which headphones should I get and how should I connect them so as to achieve this?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The issue here is how the audio from two devices can get to your headset. Somehow there needs to be a junction point for two sources to get to one headset. Now, that junction already exists - maybe. Right now each of the sources (PC and Xbox) feeds both video and audio to your monitor via HDMI cables, so BOTH are there and each audio source is switched "on" when you switch the video signal chosen. The first missing piece here, then, is how the signal your monitor's speakers normally put out can be re-directed to one headset. One common way is if your MONITOR had a 3.5 mm Sound Output socket where you can plug in a stereo cord to feed to some external system like a set of separate speakers, an amp, or a transmitter. IF your monitor has this, then there's at least one way.

If you go looking for wireless headsets (either just the earphones, or ones with a mic also) there are MANY that connect to a Bluetooth system built into your PC, for example. That way would be easy IF your MONITOR has a Bluetooth system in it already to send signals out to a wireless headset of this type. Not likely, but maybe, so check that possibility.

Next possibility is a headset of this type that claims you can use it via Bluetooth for TWO connections to different systems, and switch easily between them. THEN if there are Bluetooth systems already built into BOTH your PC and your Xbox units, you may be able to set BOTH of them up to use Bluetooth communication with a headset for sound output instead of sending sound via HDMI to your monitor. That way you could use that type of headset and switch between the two sources.

Next possibility is a slightly different headset type. This type comes also with a transmitter unit that plugs into a stereo sound output jack on your monitor. So this system does not require that the MONITOR have its own Bluetooth system built in. That transmitter unit uses either Bluetooth or some other wireless technology to communicate with the wireless headset. Then whichever source unit you are using for audio and video into the Monitor (PC or Xbox), the output from the monitor goes through that transmitter to your headset.