Question No Screen/Image when turning on the laptop only RGB lights work - Lenovo Legion 7i 11980HK - 3080 RTX

Aug 21, 2024
Hello Dears,

I really need some serious and technical advices.

going to explain the scenario with as much as detail as I can provide so that It might help someone with knowledge or experience to help me get rid of this issue.

It's been 3 years I've been using this laptop for both work and gaming purposes on Windows 11.
like 14-15 hours a day since I am an video/photo editor.
about one month ago, my WiFi kept disappearing from taskbar and everywhere.
I searched a lot and went through all successful workarounds that I found on Reddit and forums.
like updating drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, clean installation of Windows and etc.
none of them fixed the issue or just resolved it temporarily for like 5 minutes.

I saved a solution for last, which had a lot of successful cases between the people with the same issue by considering their feedback here in this exact subreddit, it was pressing and holding the power button of laptop for 30-60 seconds. I did so and boom, Laptop kept turning on, power light on, USBs having power, but no image.

This situation had me keep turning off / on the Laptop with the power button for dozen times so that it shows image one time.
when I shut down the laptop, it occurs again, when I put the PC on hibernate, it occurs again while once the system is running properly putting it on Sleep or Restarting it does NOT reproduce the issue, (That's how I am up and writing this post with the same laptop)

I have to keep it on sleep between office and home so that I can start and use the laptop.
I went to a repair shop and they figured out the Wireless card is broken and needs to be replaced, which they did and fixed the wifi problem, but they could not understand what is causing the no image issue.
They tried to install an older BIOS version on my laptop once they got their hand to windows.
it did not help the situation at all. since this action, the laptop product number/serial number/model and such details are shown as INVALID and Lenovo Vantage does not detect my laptop automatically no more. (I am not sure when during all this challenges the numbers become invalid... Maybe before replacing the WLAN card or after.)

I live in a country where there is no Lenovo Service so I cannot use warranty although it is also expired at the moment.
So, I tried another PC repair shop and they tried reprogramming the BIOS and updated it to the latest version provided by the Lenovo itself.
again, It did not help at all. he told me he thinks there is an issue in the Nvidia GPU chip causing this issue.
I have not a single FPS drop change / benchmark score changes whenever the system starts properly.
I do not have even a minor problem using my Laptop under very heavy load as long as I do not shut it down.
I cannot believe the GPU is broken/somehow damaged but there is not a slight impact on its performance under heavy/stress load.
(Please consider a chance in your thoughts that maybe the technician was not the best one around )

I am really stuck, I do not know what to do, I do not know what procedure should I allow this repair technician go through, since touching the GPU chip has a permanent death of laptop risk, although it is a very low chance if done by a pro.

Can anyone help me here? I am really frustrated as I've been being ping ponged between the repair shops and their ideas for a month with no progress and no clue.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
although it is a very low chance if done by a pro.
Then i suggest that you send your laptop to the pro for repairs.

I can suggest Northridge Fix: https://northridgefix.com/
They do international shipping/repairs.

Alex, (founder and owner) has YT channel where he showcases repairs. I find it interesting to watch from time to time. :)
E.g Lenovo Legion 5 repair, sent in by another, less experienced, repair shop:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7r7bY_5G3w

Or Lenovo Legion 5 with no power issue:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mkni2gqP5k