[SOLVED] headset has just stopped working

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
Today I switched from my Speakers to my headset as I wanted to play a game and they just aren't working. If I adjust the volume wheel in line I get quite a loud static noise, but I can't figure out why no sound is coming out of them. I haven't touched anything since yesterday and they were working fine then. If I unplug them the "speakers" disappear in realtek audio manager, and when I test sound in windows it shows that sound is playing, but I can't hear anything. What are some steps I should take to test to see if I can get them to work again?

PC was also put to sleep last night so no updates would have happened by shutting down in between the time it was working. The ONLY change since they were working is that I plugged in a wireless phone charger.

Thanks.

Headset: HyperX Cloud Alphas
Mobo: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR

Solution
Does the headset work on another known working computer or audio device?

Do other known working headsets work on your computer?

Determine if the problem follows the headsets or stays with your computer.

= = = =

This:

"PC was also put to sleep last night so no updates would have happened by shutting down in between the time it was working. The ONLY change since they [then - Moderator edit] were working is that I plugged in a wireless phone charger.

That plug in may have woken up the computer.....

= = = =

Try running the built in Windows trouble shooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner.

You should be presented with a...

Ralston18

Titan

= = = =

This:

"PC was also put to sleep last night so no updates would have happened by shutting down in between the time it was working. The ONLY change since they [then - Moderator edit] were working is that I plugged in a wireless phone charger.

= = = =

Try running the built in Windows trouble shooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner.

You should be presented with a menu listing of Audio related choices.

Explore the choices: windows, tabs, properties, etc..

No need to immediately start changing things, Just look, make some notes, and then go back to anything that is not as you expect.

Post accordingly.

Solution

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014

= = = =

This:

= = = =

You should be presented with a menu listing of Audio related choices.

Explore the choices: windows, tabs, properties, etc..

No need to immediately start changing things, Just look, make some notes, and then go back to anything that is not as you expect.

Post accordingly.

Thanks a lot for the response. I've figured it out after sitting here for an hour. Someone must have unplugged them yesterday because the mic and audio ports were in the wrong jacks. Just had to switch them round to the correct ones. 🤦‍♂️