[SOLVED] Headset volume is low when connected to the motherboard's jacks

Cloe1994

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Hello everyone
As the title suggests when i plug my headset to the 3.5mm jacks of the motherboard the volume is low and it's very annoying, i had to put the volume all the way up to 100% in windows to even have a slightly good experience.
The weird thing is when i plug the same headset to my case's front jacks it sounds much much louder. I am positive it's not the motherboard because i had the exact same issue before with my old components Asrock H61m vs.
My specs now if it helps Ryzen 5 2600 / 8gb 2666 ram / MSI B450 A pro max / RX 580 8GB
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Solution
Yes, that's correct. But something on one of those displays leads me in another direction. You are using the audio chip on your mobo, from Realtek - very normal and common. The Realtek system has a special feature called Port Re-assignment that allows you to change which signals it sends out to which of the rear panel jacks, according to what YOU tell it you have plugged in there. But in many cases it will send out NOTHING if you do not tell it what you have done. So try this.

1. Unplug all the items plugged into your rear audio output jacks - that is probably at least Blue (Line In), Lime Green (Line Out) and Pink (Mic in), and may also include Orange, Grey and / or Black. Now reboot your computer with nothing plugged in there...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, same with my PC. Reason being is the rear ports are usually not amplified as much expecting you to use powered speakers to do the additional amplifying. Front audio are assumed to use headphones and is beefed up more to handle increased impedance.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is another possibility to check. You already have the volume to max in Windows. BUT there is another "volume" control, too. Get into the configuration controls for your audio system (I think you are using the mobo built-in system). Look for where you can set up which type of outputs you are using, especially the speakers. Ensure that it is set for what you actually have - 2-channel stereo, 2.1 (front stereo plus subwoofer), 5.1 (surround with front stereo, front mid, subwoofer and rear stereo), or 7.1. If you have NO speakers and use only the headphone set front or back, set it to 2-channel stereo. Then go to where you set up the balance of the stereo system. Normally there is left / right balance, and front / rear balance IF you have rear speakers. Yours may be set to lower front volume for some reason, and that will reduce what comes out of the rear panel light green socket but NOT reduce what comes out of the front earphone socket. When you are finished and exit, check agoin whether there is an improvement.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, that's correct. But something on one of those displays leads me in another direction. You are using the audio chip on your mobo, from Realtek - very normal and common. The Realtek system has a special feature called Port Re-assignment that allows you to change which signals it sends out to which of the rear panel jacks, according to what YOU tell it you have plugged in there. But in many cases it will send out NOTHING if you do not tell it what you have done. So try this.

1. Unplug all the items plugged into your rear audio output jacks - that is probably at least Blue (Line In), Lime Green (Line Out) and Pink (Mic in), and may also include Orange, Grey and / or Black. Now reboot your computer with nothing plugged in there. Unplug also your headeset from the earphone and mic jacks on the front. This will cause it to reset itself to know there is NOTHING already known about your outputs.
  2. Arrange your equipment so you can reach the back panel to plug in items and still see your monitor and reach your keyboard and mouse. You will need to watch for screen prompts and enter things.
  3. Plug in ONE item - like your front speakers, OR the earphones of your headset, to the Lime Green jack. Watch the screen for a little window that says it detected that you plugeed in something and suggest what that might have been, and asks for your confirmation. You can change what it says to show the correct thing (speakers, say) or you can just confirm that it got it right. But you MUST actually reply. If you ignore it, even though it has the right answer, it will not assume that it was right. Instead it will assume there is still some unknown thing plugged in, and will NOT send out any signal on that jack! So, change and / or confirm BEFORE that window disappears. Now, whether or not you got that window, go into the audio setup screens as you have done above, and find where you can set up what item is plugged into what jack. Set that if necessary, and run a quick test to see whether you do get sound out of it.
  4. When that is complete, go back and connect one other item to the rear jacks - say, for example, the mic plug from your headset into the Pink jack. Go through the process of identifying the device you plugged in and checking whether it is working.
  5. Repeat, one device at a time, until you get all your items plugged in. That may include changing to plugging your headset into the front panel jacks.
  6. Once you have all your devices plugged in and recognized, you can set up volume and balance items in the audio configuration panels and run tests of performance.

Reactions: LashikoSmama
Solution

TRENDING THREADS