[SOLVED] Heat in laptop GPU, RTX 2060 vs 2070

Phigl

Prominent
Mar 7, 2020
I currently have a GTX 1070 laptop with a 4k screen. It gets really really hot, and i hate it, I shouldn't have gotten a 4k screen in a laptop.

So I'm looking at a new laptop, and I'm debating between an RTX 2060 or 2070. I usually turn the the graphics down to keep the laptop cooler.

My question is, if all the settings are the same, which card would get hotter? I don't know if the 2070 would be cooler because it's using a smaller percentage of it's potential, or if it would be hotter because it draws more power...?

What are your thoughts between the two cards? (If it makes a difference, I'm hoping to get a thin gaming laptop)

Solution
The biggest factor is the quality of the cooling system which you will only know how good it is from reviews. There can be a huge difference in temperatures between 2 laptops with the same spec but different models due to how good the cooler is.

I’ve got a Dell G5 with a 2060 at 1080p and the gpu peaks at 80c. However the cpu would constantly hit 100c in games until I undervolted it. It now peaks at 90c.
The biggest factor is the quality of the cooling system which you will only know how good it is from reviews. There can be a huge difference in temperatures between 2 laptops with the same spec but different models due to how good the cooler is.

I’ve got a Dell G5 with a 2060 at 1080p and the gpu peaks at 80c. However the cpu would constantly hit 100c in games until I undervolted it. It now peaks at 90c.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
More power consumption equals more heat, a 2070 will produce more heat on average than a 2060 regardless of load. You should be researching a laptop that dissipates heat very well, a laptop with a 2070 in it could feel cooler to the touch than a laptop with a 2060 assuming the laptop with the 2070 is better at getting the heat from inside the laptop out into open air.

Phigl

Prominent
Mar 7, 2020
Follow up question based on your feedback; Is there a good source that compares heat dissipation in gaming laptops? I'm currently looking at something like an MSI GL75.

I really like the Zephyrus too, but you pay more for it...