Heatsink Installation, Latches are uneven (AMD)

Liquid_015

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I was trying to install the AMD Stock Heatsink, but when I was installing I noticed that the two latches is now uneven. So, one side is longer than the other and I have no idea what to do right now. The heatsink is now firmly set into place due to the thermal paste. Below are some pics:

wvZxt.jpg

UK0qx.jpg

A better view of the issue I am talking about:

56qOTl.jpg

Is it possible to detach the "black top part (fan)" and realign the metal latch and reattach the black fan?

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Just hook both latches on and push down really hard on the black lever. You usually have to use a lot of force - like more than you are comfortable with. It may be easier if you hook the side without the lever first.

Let us know how it goes.

Liquid_015

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Right now I got one side on but I cannot hook the metal latch with the lock mechanism

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
It's really unsettling - especially if you haven't done it before. The metal arm that connects the two latches is supposed to bend. My stock cooler and my current aftermarket cooler were the same way. You have to make sure the heatsink is totally squared up, latch one side, then push down really heard to get the other side latched. Then you have to push down even harder to get the black lever down. It feels like you are going to break the board. :) It might help to go ahead and bolt the motherboard to your case first and then lay the case down sideways. This will let the board flex a little bit.

Liquid_015

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

So a lot of force is required to push the metal latches?

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Yeah. It's definitely going to be more than you are comfortable with.

1. Check both your motherboard manual and your CPU manual to make sure there isn't some BS you have to reverse or flip over or something
2. Make sure the cooler is seated properly
3. Open the black lever all the way and then do what you can to secure both latches.
4. Hulk out on the black lever

Metallikid

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
I just got through with this exact problem with the FX 8320 and it was extremely frustrating. I honestly don't think they can expect you to put as much force on the mobo as it would require to get both latches on normally. I had to loosen three of the four heat sink support screws (the piece that comes mounted onto the motherboard that the heat sink's brass tubes rest on, or at least they do on mine, the ASUS M5A97) to the point of almost coming out, and only then could I manage to get both latches on and flip the lever. (which I did very gradually and with steady force)

xd45c

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Figured I would try getting some help here first rather than starting a new thread. I'm having the same issue which seems to be pretty common. The plastic around the latch on my heatsink sounds like it's starting to crack I am cranking on it so hard.

I have to push down on the heatsink with considerable force just to get the clips on, but flipping the lock lever seems like an impossible task. The metal clip is actually gouging the plastic tab on the motherboard from the force. You can see in the picture the torque on the clip, that's about as far as I can get the lever using both thumbs and a LOT of force. Any thoughts?
imagejpg1.jpg