Question Heavy FPS drops while gaming

VoidInfernal

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
Hey everyone, got a question for y'all.

My laptop has these weird FPS drops while gaming. The game will fine (60+ fps) for around 10 seconds, then the fps drops to somewhere around 20 for about 3 seconds, the back up to 60+ for 10 seconds. This cycle continues indefinitely. While looking at the task manager while these FPS drops occur, the CPU usage graph dips from 60% usage to around 25% usage. The speed of the CPU remains steady at around 3.12 GHz throughout all of this.

I also took a look at MSI Afterburner & when the FPS is fine, I am hitting the GPU power limit 1" However, when the FPS drops, the GPU power limit goes down to 0.

Here's a list of things I have tried thus far:
  • Updating Nvidia Driver
  • Uninstalling & Reinstalling Nvidia Driver
  • Updating every driver I could find
  • Maxing out power settings for maximum performance
  • Fresh install of Windows
I do not believe I am getting thermal throttled, my temps max out around 70C, sometimes 72C. I have no idea if I'm getting power throttled because I don't know how to check. If anyone has any ideas or would like me to try a test, benchmark, anything, I am willing and ready to. I'll take all the help can get.

Thanks so much for reading all of that. Again, I'll take any help I can get. IF anyone would like more info, please ask. Thanks!

SPECS:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz
12GB DDR4
1TB SSHD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 4GB