Digichaos

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
this are the supported RAMs <--- link to the supported rams ..

I have a motherboard P6T SE
with 6 dimm slots

I have 2x4gb sticks of ram DDR3 10600u (Unbufered)
Does adding a 1x8gb Stick with higher frenquency will cause any problems ..so i can go with 1x8 and 2x4 memmory =16GB of ran

explained more
actually now i have 3x4gb of rams total 12gb ..running in 3ple channel mode as my motherboard has 6 dims 2x3channel
i was wonderinf to remove 1 stick .. and add the 8gb ...so will it runn on 2dual channel and 8gb on single ??
so iam doing this cuz i want to replace all month by month to go to 3x8gb total 24gb
suggestions?

Last edited:
Solution
thanks for the answer
ok ill explain smth else
actually now i have 3x4gb of rams total 12gb ..running in 3ple channel mode as my motherboard has 6 dims 2x3channel
i was wonderinf to remove 1 stick .. and add the 8gb ...so will it runn on 2dual channel and 8gb on single ??
so iam doing this cuz i want to replace all month by month to go to 3x8gb total 24gb
suggestions?

You could of course try that but no promises it would work. I understand the need/want to upgrade bit by bit, but have you also thought about upgrading your entire system? DDR3 era & all. Whats your budget?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
this are the supported RAMs <--- link to the supported rams ..

I have a motherboard P6T SE
with 6 dimm slots

I have 2x4gb sticks of ram DDR3 10600u (Unbufered)
Does adding a 1x8gb Stick with higher frenquency will cause any problems ..so i can go with 1x8 and 2x4 memmory =16GB of ram?

Hi @Digichaos

Mixing & matching RAM is never a good idea. Adding in the 1x8GB stick may or may not work with your existing 2x4GB. The faster RAM will actually underclock itself to the slowest RAM you have installed, so in your case so the 2x4GB.

You may also install the 1x8GB and your PC does not even "see" it and so you'll still be stuck with 8GB of usable RAM or your PC may not even boot. There is also a chance that your PC will boot up fine, but the moment you start a game, it'll crash or the performance will be bad.

Your mobo supports up to 24GB of RAM. I'd suggest buying a triple channel kit of DDR3. Whats your budget? Non-OC, your mobo supports up to DDR3-1333 (Up to DDR3-2000 if you OC) Here is a kit to look at. If you cannot afford a new kit, then I'd personally suggest you go with another 4GB stick of the same make/model/speed as your 2x4GB. Your link above gives me a 404 blank page.

Just my $.02 :)

Last edited:

Digichaos

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
Hi @Digichaos

Mixing & matching RAM is never a good idea. Adding in the 1x8GB stick may or may not work with your existing 2x4GB and if it does, yes, you'll have 16GB but it'll not run in Dual Channel mode and so your overall performance will be less. The faster RAM will actually underclock itself to the slowest RAM you have installed, so in your case so the 2x4GB.

You may also install the 1x8GB and your PC does not even "see" it and so you'll still be stuck with 8GB of usable RAM or your PC may not even boot. There is also a chance that your PC will boot up fine, but the moment you start a game, it'll crash or the performance will be bad.

Your best option is to buy a 2x8GB kit. You'll run in Dual Channel and have full access to the 16GB.

Just my $.02 :)
thanks for the answer
ok ill explain smth else
suggestions?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
thanks for the answer
ok ill explain smth else
suggestions?

You could of course try that but no promises it would work. I understand the need/want to upgrade bit by bit, but have you also thought about upgrading your entire system? DDR3 era & all. Whats your budget?

Solution

Digichaos

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
my budged its limites by my income monthly
i find 8gb sticks for 30euros
so 30 eu every month

to upgrade all motherboard i need money for cpu for mother board and for ddr4 rams
around 250 eu or more