hardunderware

Prominent
Feb 25, 2021
Hey gang, Ive been looking to build my first PC and I think the time has finally come. I’d like to get some opinions on my proposed set up:

MotherBoard: ASUS ROG strix B450-F AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: geforce RTX 3070
RAM: G.Skill ripjaws v 32g (2x16)
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x Modular PSU

mainly looking to see if all these parts work well together, if the power supply can hold all of that too. I have also decided to just stick with the 2 preset fans come with the Meshify C - will this be enough or will I need additional to cool this lot ?

any help is greatly appreciated massively looking forward to the build just want to check it over before pulling the trigger.

Solution
B450-F ~ A solid board, but considering the prices of B550 are similar, i would opt for a B550 motherboard, something in the same price range like the MSI B550-A PRO.
3700X ~ A really good cpu for both gaming and multitasking. If you are just gaming, 6 core 12 thread cpu is more than enough, especially if you can get the 5600X, which is better in gaming than even a 3900X.
G.Skill ripjaws 2x16gb ~ What frequency and CAS Latency?
SSD ~ What capacity?
CASE ~ Solid case.
PSU ~ pretty good, will handle the 3070. I would go for the 750W version, never know when you are going to need those extra 100W in the future.
Now the GPU.
For how much can you find the 3070?
Used or new?
What model?
Good luck finding it!
B450-F ~ A solid board, but considering the prices of B550 are similar, i would opt for a B550 motherboard, something in the same price range like the MSI B550-A PRO.
3700X ~ A really good cpu for both gaming and multitasking. If you are just gaming, 6 core 12 thread cpu is more than enough, especially if you can get the 5600X, which is better in gaming than even a 3900X.
SSD ~ What capacity?
CASE ~ Solid case.
PSU ~ pretty good, will handle the 3070. I would go for the 750W version, never know when you are going to need those extra 100W in the future.
Now the GPU.
Used or new?
What model?
Good luck finding it!

Solution
Good luck finding a 3070, regardless your build looks fine. What's your budget? Also, I wouldn't necessarily recommend building a new PC for a bit until cards come back in stock (eventually). At least, I wouldn't pay an absurd amount for a card to a scalper on eBay.
Who knows when they will come back, and if they come back putting them on the shelf for double the price isnt going to help people.
Sad situation honestly : (

I have also decided to just stick with the 2 preset fans come with the Meshify C - will this be enough or will I need additional to cool this lot ?
i would never recommend a stock cooling setup for a gaming system.

if you are planning on using the 3700X's stock air cooler; i would definitely add some more chassis fans.
best scenario: 3x 120mm or 2x 140mm front intakes \ 1x 120mm rear exhaust \ 1x top-rear 140mm exhaust.

but i would suggest getting a better aftermarket CPU cooler.
the included stock cooler's design leads to it dumping a lot of heated air from the CPU over your motherboard and other components even with nice chassis airflow. this can lead to raising temps for your GPU and all other components.
with a good aftermarket cooler you can get away with less chassis fans or just running them all at lower speeds with less noise and still get better overall temps.

hardunderware

Prominent
Feb 25, 2021
SSD ~ What capacity?
CASE ~ Solid case.
Now the GPU.
Used or new?
What model?
Good luck finding it!

Seriously good feedback on this thanks man !

Mobo: will look into MSI B550 - also considering the Aorus X570 Elite just simply to keep a solid base.

CPU: looking to do a fair bit of 3D modelling so might look at the 5600x, not much more all things considered.

Ram: 3200 & CL16 - sond ok?

SSD: 1TB.

Case: sweet !

GPU: ive been reading more into the 3070 and now realise that they are an absolute myth ahah reading from the above comments looks like it might be best to wait for that to come out before starting my build either that or try and find a 3060...

Reactions: Dj0gany

Mobo: will look into MSI B550 - also considering the Aorus X570 Elite just simply to keep a solid base.

CPU: looking to do a fair bit of 3D modelling so might look at the 5600x, not much more all things considered.

GPU: ive been reading more into the 3070 and now realise that they are an absolute myth ahah reading from the above comments looks like it might be best to wait for that to come out before starting my build either that or try and find a 3060...
Ram is good.
Good luck on finding a 3000 series card.

Reactions: hardunderware

hardunderware

Prominent
Feb 25, 2021
i would never recommend a stock cooling setup for a gaming system.

if you are planning on using the 3700X's stock air cooler; i would definitely add some more chassis fans.
best scenario: 3x 120mm or 2x 140mm front intakes \ 1x 120mm rear exhaust \ 1x top-rear 140mm exhaust.

but i would suggest getting a better aftermarket CPU cooler.
the included stock cooler's design leads to it dumping a lot of heated air from the CPU over your motherboard and other components even with nice chassis airflow. this can lead to raising temps for your GPU and all other components.
with a good aftermarket cooler you can get away with less chassis fans or just running them all at lower speeds with less noise and still get better overall temps.

The meshify C comes with 2 120mm fans preinstalled (one rear and one front). Think I will add an additional 140mm at the front too.
Ill also look into a different CPU cooler too now that you mention it, they dont seem too pricey could be a good addition.

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
The meshify C comes with 2 120mm fans preinstalled (one rear and one front). Think I will add an additional 140mm at the front too.
Ill also look into a different CPU cooler too now that you mention it, they dont seem too pricey could be a good addition.
i would recommend adding 2 more 120 fans in the front and if you really want to, add 2 more at the top.

you could also buy a 240mm aio cooler and put it at the top. 2 birds with one stone

There's not really need for the X570, unless you are looking for a lot of storage and or many many USB ports..
There's good B550's which cost less and as good. Im running a B550 M Steel legend rock solid with a 12Core...

Hey gang, Ive been looking to build my first PC and I think the time has finally come. I’d like to get some opinions on my proposed set up:

MotherBoard: ASUS ROG strix B450-F AM4
GPU: geforce RTX 3070
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x Modular PSU

mainly looking to see if all these parts work well together, if the power supply can hold all of that too. I have also decided to just stick with the 2 preset fans come with the Meshify C - will this be enough or will I need additional to cool this lot ?

any help is greatly appreciated massively looking forward to the build just want to check it over before pulling the trigger.
Hello There!
If newegg is available then go with this the only way to get 3070.
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali479/p/N82E16883360074

B550-vrm-test.png

If you are looking for a B550 board, have this picture handy.

hardunderware

Prominent
Feb 25, 2021
Hey everyone - thanks so much for all your replies.
After hella consideration and the fact that I just cant be bothered to wait until any 3000 series come back into stock, I have settled for the below (not yet purchased but will be soon):

MotherBoard: Aorus X570 ELITE

GPU: Sapphire AMD RX 510
(to be swapped with when available): geforce RTX 3060

PSU: Corsair TX850M Semi-Modular ATX PSU - 850 W

Taken into consideration all of your points ill also be getting 2 extra fans. Hopefully you all agree this set up should do the job nicely at least until I can get my greasy hands on one of those 3000s.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Hey everyone - thanks so much for all your replies.
After hella consideration and the fact that I just cant be bothered to wait until any 3000 series come back into stock, I have settled for the below (not yet purchased but will be soon):

MotherBoard: Aorus X570 ELITE

GPU: Sapphire AMD RX 510
(to be swapped with when available): geforce RTX 3060

PSU: Corsair TX850M Semi-Modular ATX PSU - 850 W

Taken into consideration all of your points ill also be getting 2 extra fans. Hopefully you all agree this set up should do the job nicely at least until I can get my greasy hands on one of those 3000s.
Good build.
Everything is compatible and good.
Enjoy and good luck on that 3000 series card :D

Reactions: hardunderware