Question HELP! After Clean Install Windows 10 Audio Missing

WiSurvive98

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I just do clean install windows 10, everything seems normal, no problem, but i just notice that my Audio is missing, it says "No speakers or headphones are plugged in"
Both Rear and Front panel not working

I've tried these steps:

01. I've install Realtek Audio, it installed, but nowhere to be found, also not showing in Control Panel, only show inside "Uninstall Programs" list

02. I've download and install the audio driver from the motherboard's brand, it's Magix H61-C, installed but still not working

03. Troubleshoot only showing "Digital Audio (HDMI) - High Definition Audio Device , The connector for this device is located in the HDMI connector", not helping

04. Open Device Manager > Search for the audio > Right Click > Update Driver > Automatic Search > Not Helping

If i click on the Audio tray it open troubleshoot, if i right click it, it says "Speaker Setup (UNKNOWN)"

What else i can do to fix this?

Solution
I can't say this is the solution but in the end i just bought Audio USB from E. Store, and my speaker work just fine

None of given advice work, but many thanks for helping me
Right click your speaker icon in your task manager ---Open sound settings---on the pop up window go down the page to ---Sound control panel---on that pop up make sure ---speakers--- have a green arrow checked and not for the HDMI to video card.

Also can you list motherboard and CPU if we need to dig deeper to get sound fixed.:) EDIT: sorry I missed where you listed board.

Last edited:

WiSurvive98

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Right click your speaker icon in your task manager ---Open sound settings---on the pop up window go down the page to ---Sound control panel---on that pop up make sure ---speakers--- have a green arrow checked and not for the HDMI to video card.

Also can you list motherboard and CPU if we need to dig deeper to get sound fixed.:)

Not working because inside Playback tab there's only 2 HDMI Device show, but not my Speaker

my Hardware:
Processor: i3-3210
Motherboard: Magix H61-C LGA 1155
RAM: 8GB Hynix

That is the only page with any reference to anything "Magix"

Ok frustrating but a few more things to see what's up.

Does it show in your device manager that your sound driver are installed and no yellow check marks next to sound devices.

Have you installed motherboard drivers , not including sound drivers.

Can you check for windows updates and after it does it's quick check click---View optional updates---

On the next pop up window click--- Driver updates--- does window have any sound drivers to offer?

WiSurvive98

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
That is the only page with any reference to anything "Magix"

Ok frustrating but a few more things to see what's up.

Does it show in your device manager that your sound driver are installed and no yellow check marks next to sound devices.

Have you installed motherboard drivers , not including sound drivers.

Can you check for windows updates and after it does it's quick check click---View optional updates---

On the next pop up window click--- Driver updates--- does window have any sound drivers to offer?

"Does it show in your device manager that your sound driver are installed and no yellow check marks next to sound devices."
-Yes, it installed, in "Sound, video and game controllers" there's High Definition Audio Device

"Have you installed motherboard drivers , not including sound drivers."
-Yes, i install what i can found on internet with same brand motherboard

"Can you check for windows updates and after it does it's quick check click---View optional updates---"
-I've install my PC 2 times this day, first try with completed All the windows 10 update, still not helping, this is the 2nd time i thought re-install windows will solv this, but it's not

-Yes, it installed, in "Sound, video and game controllers" there's High Definition Audio Device
Ok that also shows it it fine in BIOS and not turned off "sound"

Head scratcher.

When you try to go to sound setting where you should be able to select 2-ch speakers are your speakers or headphones plugged in when your trying to make that change. Yeah I know there likely plugged in but just trying to eliminate off the list.

I need more coffee but trying ;)

WiSurvive98

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Ok that also shows it it fine in BIOS and not turned off "sound"

Head scratcher.

When you try to go to sound setting where you should be able to select 2-ch speakers are your speakers or headphones plugged in when your trying to make that change. Yeah I know there likely plugged in but just trying to eliminate off the list.

I need more coffee but trying ;)

Yes, it is plugged in,

when i install my GPU Driver GT 705, the audio is working but only through Build in monitor speaker, that 2 HDMI, one of them change to "Acer Monitor"

Check in BIOS, if you have Audio enabled.
It might be disabled.

Next install Intel INF chipset drivers.
You can get them from a different manufacturer H61 chipset board support page.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S2PV-rev-23/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

Then you'll have to find appropriate Audio drivers and install them.
You do not have appropriate Audio drivers installed currently.

Reactions: stonecarver

Blackink

Distinguished
I don't know if this will help with your audio problem but this is what happened to me awhile ago.
I switched out my 2 Dell 24" monitors for 2 Dell 27" monitors. While I was in the process of making the switch and getting them mounted to the visa mounts, I knocked over one of my Bose speakers that I used for audio.
After I (finally) had the monitors mounted, one on top of the other, I had no sound....nothing....zip! These monitors did not have speakers either.

I thought for sure I broke the Bose speaker connection going into the back of my desktop PC (green plug).
I grabbed a back up pair of speakers and connected that....nothing. I tried plugging into the front connection, nothing.
I was in full panic mode now!!!

For some reason I went into the Sound settings and noticed that the 2 Dell monitors were selected as my audio source!! WHAT??!!??

Not a clue how that happened or why but once I selected, in the drop down menu there, my high definition audio speakers, I had sound!! WHEW!!!

Maybe something got changed in your sound settings and the speakers are not selected?!?

WiSurvive98

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Check in BIOS, if you have Audio enabled.
It might be disabled.

Next install Intel INF chipset drivers.
You can get them from a different manufacturer H61 chipset board support page.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S2PV-rev-23/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

Then you'll have to find appropriate Audio drivers and install them.
You do not have appropriate Audio drivers installed currently.

I already check it, sadly my BIOS doesn't have any Audio setting

I've install all Magix Motherboard driver from here
http://all-driver-motherboard.blogspot.com/2021/02/magix-h61c-driver-xp-vista-win7-win8.html

But still not helping, problem still here

WiSurvive98

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I don't know if this will help with your audio problem but this is what happened to me awhile ago.
I switched out my 2 Dell 24" monitors for 2 Dell 27" monitors. While I was in the process of making the switch and getting them mounted to the visa mounts, I knocked over one of my Bose speakers that I used for audio.
After I (finally) had the monitors mounted, one on top of the other, I had no sound....nothing....zip! These monitors did not have speakers either.

I thought for sure I broke the Bose speaker connection going into the back of my desktop PC (green plug).
I grabbed a back up pair of speakers and connected that....nothing. I tried plugging into the front connection, nothing.
I was in full panic mode now!!!

For some reason I went into the Sound settings and noticed that the 2 Dell monitors were selected as my audio source!! WHAT??!!??

Not a clue how that happened or why but once I selected, in the drop down menu there, my high definition audio speakers, I had sound!! WHEW!!!

Maybe something got changed in your sound settings and the speakers are not selected?!?

I just found clues that if once my HDMI Audio is enable, "something" will shutdown the OnBoard Audio by itself, but i still don't know what "something" is

It sounds off but at this point you could try installing the audio driver under compatibility settings for windows 7 under administrator.

Did you try administrator install for the windows 10 driver for sound?

Also In my Nvidia control panel ---set up digital audio--- but my Dell monitor has no speakers so it defaults to 2-ch speakers. In there is where you could tell system to use HDMI digital sound output or has a tab to send you back to open windows sound settings to make choices.

I know it's just a loop to back to windows sound settings but IDK maybe you will see that golden checkbox to check to get sound up and running.

I don't know if your using motherboards IGPU off the CPU and if so is there a intel control panel like Nvidia's that you might need to change a setting to direct the sound output?

I know I have in the past went on line to get that intel graphical control panel or at least my memory says I did back years ago.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...d-graphics-family/intel-hd-graphics-2500.html

If your running a dedicated GPU Nvidia or AMD the intel Graphic control panel is moot.

WiSurvive98

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
This is really frustrating, i didn't find any solution nor fix,
-Update windows, not helping
-Download one by one audio driver from many brand, not helping
-Re-Install windows, not helping
-Change rear or front jack panel, not helping
-Install HD Audio Device from Device Manager, cause BSOD
-Use Driver Pack or Driver Downloader, not helping

Gosh, 🤯

Jul 10, 2024
you could try deleting the sound devices in Device Manager then click on the top menu to 'Scan for Hardware Changes'. Also try plugging in earphones or headphones into the case jacks and also the rear audio card jacks and see what happens.

I already check it, sadly my BIOS doesn't have any Audio setting
I've install all Magix Motherboard driver from here
http://all-driver-motherboard.blogspot.com/2021/02/magix-h61c-driver-xp-vista-win7-win8.html
Reinstall chipset driver from Gigabyte support link in post #15.

Do you have any unidentified devices in Device Manager (with yellow exclamation marks) ?

Anyway - integrated Audio on motherboard may have failed.
Then - either use audio from monitor or install additional PCIE audio card. The board has PCIE x1 slot for this.

WiSurvive98

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I can't say this is the solution but in the end i just bought Audio USB from E. Store, and my speaker work just fine

None of given advice work, but many thanks for helping me

Solution