Help buliding a PC!

lewisbicknell9

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Hello,

I have around 800£ to spend a decent gaming pc could anyone suggest a decent starting setup? e.g. Motherboard/CPU/GPU?

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

Right now, buying into the AMD line is a bad idea. Several year old architecture, and Zen is coming out 'soon'.
There is no real upgrade path for that CPU.

A few somebodies will be along soon to suggest a parts build.

AceIccey

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Okay. So I put this together and this is the best bang for the buck build possible in my opinion. The CPU and GPU go perfect together and they are not unequal. OKay first off is the Intel core i5 6500 which is a Locked CPU but is great for gaming and it also saves money not having to buy an Aftermarket cooler. Since this is a budget build we do not need an Overclocked CPU because that will push your budget a bit high due to having to get a OCable Motherboard. Next up is the Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX it is a Micro ATX Motherboard and has 4 DDR4 ram slots more then enough for future upgrades. And this brings us into the Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4 (8gb) ram sticks. They are black and look very nice. 8gb of ram is essential and all you need for games today. Next is the Kingston SSD 120gb. Putting your operating system on this will be very nice for your PC to be snappy quick booting up. This brings us to the Western Digital Caviar Blue 1tb Hard Drive that you can fit all of your games onto and not be limited on room. Now the beauty of the build is the GTX 1060 SC GAMING edition that has 6gb VRAM! It is the same performance as a GTX 980 but HUNDREDS! Of dollars less. This graphics card will max out any game 1080p 60fps+ guranteed. You will very much enjoy this Graphics card and will last you years more. Now the case is a personal opinion but I chose the Corsair 200r Mid Tower case. It has amazing cable management and upgrade options. The case doesn't need to be a $200 fancy full tower LED window panel case. Most of the time you aren't going to be starring at your PC and your going to be using it instead. The case can be changed though to your personal preference. Now the last part is the EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX 650W fully modular power supply. This is an amazing power supply for not only cable management but reliability. This leaves room for upgrades if you ever choose too and will power this system very well leaving headroom. The total is £738.54 not including shipping but the extra $60 leaves room to spend on shipping and the operating system. Here is the link hope you enjoy. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zxfbKZ

AceIccey

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Took me a little while to word it all correctly sorry about that. Go ahead and leave your thoughts and questions and I will gladly answer them. USAFRet let me know if you think theres anything worth changing.

AceIccey

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
8gb ram will do just fine for everything only game that really uses 16gb is Ark Survival Evolved but 8gb will run it fine. And Ret I mean its all down to personal preference I honestly think that you don't need more then 120gb if your only putting your Operating system on it. Kingston in my mind makes good SSD's and reliable ones too. I find that £35 more would be more value to put it towards 16gb ram.

USAFRet

Titan

Having had a selection of SSD's, starting with a 120GB 4 years ago...a 250GB is a much better buy in todays market.
And it is never 'only the OS'. That is tossing away 1/2 the functionality of an SSD. You do want other things on there as well.

As for the V300 SSDNow? Kingston did a bit of bait and switch with that particular model when it first came out.
They have almost certainly changed things up by now, but...once bitten, twice shy.

There are other, better drives out there.

Opinions differ, and that is the way I would go.

lewisbicknell9

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Gigabyte GA-990X-Gaming SLI Socket AM3+ ATX Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 Black Edition "Vishera" CPU (8 Core, AM3+, Clock 4.0 GHz, Turbo 4.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 125 W)

Corsair CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400Mhz CL11 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Red

Corsair CP-9020015-UK Builder Series CX750 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit, 750 W

Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X G1 GAMING 4 GB Graphics Card

Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive 2.5 inch SATA 3 Stand-Alone Drive

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5g Tube

Cronus Midi ATX Desktop PC Gaming Tower Case / 120mm Red LED Fan / USB 3.0 / Front Panel Audio / iCHOOSE

Asus DVD Rewriter Drive

Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card (PCI Express 1.0, Smart Volume Normalizer, Xear 3D Virtual Speaker Shifter, Magic Voice)

I know this is AMD but I have always prefered AMD is there anything im missing besides a HDD as ill use my HDD im using now?

USAFRet

Titan

GPU's do not care what CPU brand, as long as it performs correctly. There is no brand merging.
An AMD GPU will perform just fine with an Intel CPU.

Like in my system..:)

For £50 extra you get i5-6500 GTX1070 build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£181.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£52.43 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£35.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£55.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB JetStream Video Card (£379.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £853.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-04 03:06 BST+0100

There is no reason to swap GTX1070 with GTX1060 to save extra bucks. the difference in their performance is worth paying £50 extra.
If you still wanna save £47 leave out the HDD for time being. You can buy one down the lane as per the requirements.
I went for single 8GB RAM stick so that you can add another stick in future.

Solution