[SOLVED] Help! Can't install Windows 7 from 10!

Danayel-Z32K

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Hello!
I built a new PC (brand new in fact) and I'm trying to make it work. Out of desperation I installed Windows 10 but later I regretted it and decided to go back to Win7. The problem is, the bootable USB I have the OS in, (Win7) doesn't begin the setup software. When I try to boot from the USB stick, it displays a black screen then the PC proceeds to boot from the Windows Boot Manager and forward me to Windows 10, which I have installed on my SSD. I am trying to format my disk so I can replace W10 with W7 but I cannot do that, for as I specified above, the Win7 setup won't boot. When I launch the Setup on the USB from "This PC" in Win10, it gives me the following error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary
installation files. To install Windows, make sure that a
partition on your boot disk has at least 735 megabytes (MB) of
free space.

Error code: 0x80070490

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's worth knowing that the USB I use to setup Win7 actually boots on my other PC (which already runs Windows 7 by the way) normally, and without fail. Same thing unfortunately, doesn't happen on this one, so here I am asking for a solution.

I have tried the following:

-) The subinacl method, described in this link:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ror-code/73e05a03-385c-43aa-93bb-562d3330db50

-) Making new partitions up to 2GB large in both my USB and SSD.

-) Resetting my Windows 10 through the Recovery tab's "Reset This PC" option.

-) SFC scan through the CMD, and also cleanup through DISM.

But none of these worked.

My PC specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.60GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H V2 Retail
SSD: Patriot PBU240GS25SSDR Burst 240GB 2.5''
RAM: Patriot PSP48G240081H1 Signature Line Premium 8GB DDR4
GPU: ASUS Rog Strix GEFORCE GTX 1650 4GB

Any help or insight you could provide would be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
I already said that's what I'm trying to do but it just shows a black screen and forwards me ot Windows 10
That means - your pc is configured for UEFI boot, but USB is prepared for legacy boot.
Recreate windows 7 installation media for UEFI istall. Use Rufus.

Also note - to install windows on modern systems, USB drivers need to be intergrated into installation. Without those drivers, you cant install from USB flash drive nor use USB keyboard/mouse during install process.
Either integrate drivers into installation. This can be done with gigabyte windows usb installation tool.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=windows&p=1
(choose version for AMD series boards)

Or use sata connected DVD drive and PS/2 keyboard and...
Hello!
I built a new PC (brand new in fact) and I'm trying to make it work. Out of desperation I installed Windows 10 but later I regretted it and decided to go back to Win7. The problem is, the bootable USB I have the OS in, (Win7) doesn't begin the setup software. When I try to boot from the USB stick, it displays a black screen then the PC proceeds to boot from the Windows Boot Manager and forward me to Windows 10, which I have installed on my SSD. I am trying to format my disk so I can replace W10 with W7 but I cannot do that, for as I specified above, the Win7 setup won't boot. When I launch the Setup on the USB from "This PC" in Win10, it gives me the following error:

Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary
installation files. To install Windows, make sure that a
partition on your boot disk has at least 735 megabytes (MB) of
free space.

Error code: 0x80070490

It's worth knowing that the USB I use to setup Win7 actually boots on my other PC (which already runs Windows 7 by the way) normally, and without fail. Same thing unfortunately, doesn't happen on this one, so here I am asking for a solution.

I have tried the following:

-) The subinacl method, described in this link:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ror-code/73e05a03-385c-43aa-93bb-562d3330db50

-) Making new partitions up to 2GB large in both my USB and SSD.

-) Resetting my Windows 10 through the Recovery tab's "Reset This PC" option.

-) SFC scan through the CMD, and also cleanup through DISM.

But none of these worked.

My PC specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.60GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H V2 Retail
SSD: Patriot PBU240GS25SSDR Burst 240GB 2.5''
RAM: Patriot PSP48G240081H1 Signature Line Premium 8GB DDR4
GPU: ASUS Rog Strix GEFORCE GTX 1650 4GB

Any help or insight you could provide would be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Win7 is not compatible with a CPU as recent as a Ryzen 3600. Only Win 10 is compatible

Danayel-Z32K

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Is your other system older? Officially, windows 7 isn't supported on modern systems.

I actually managed to install Windows 7 before 10, but ran into a certain problem which doesn't matter right now, so I figured I'd format and install Win10, give it a try or something like that. But I don't like Win10 so I want to return to Win7. If you look the mobo up, it says that Win7 are supported by it.

Win7 is not compatible with a CPU as recent as a Ryzen 3600. Only Win 10 is compatible

It worked pretty nicely even with that assumption. Showed up on the System tab of the CP and everything.

I actually managed to install Windows 7 before 10, but ran into a certain problem which doesn't matter right now, so I figured I'd format and install Win10, give it a try or something like that. But I don't like Win10 so I want to return to Win7. If you look the mobo up, it says that Win7 are supported by it.

It worked pretty nicely even with that assumption. Showed up on the System tab of the CP and everything.
Well yes the MoBo is supported, but with a first generation Ryzen. The CPUS numbered 1xxx

I already said that's what I'm trying to do but it just shows a black screen and forwards me ot Windows 10
That means - your pc is configured for UEFI boot, but USB is prepared for legacy boot.

Also note - to install windows on modern systems, USB drivers need to be intergrated into installation. Without those drivers, you cant install from USB flash drive nor use USB keyboard/mouse during install process.
Either integrate drivers into installation. This can be done with gigabyte windows usb installation tool.

Or use sata connected DVD drive and PS/2 keyboard and mouse during install.

Solution

Danayel-Z32K

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020

I know about the USB drivers problem, I encountered it actually when I first installed Win7, but got past it by doing what you said. I will try to configure it for UEFI install and tell you how it went. (Although in the back of my head I kinda think I already did, but for the sake of certainty, I shall make sure)

Danayel-Z32K

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020

Okay so in Rufus, as I thought, the only option on "Target System" is BIOS (or UEFI-CSM) , partition scheme is locked into MBR, no other option than this one, and the File System has only NTFS as its option. I'm not sure if I can get those tabs to acquire additional entries if I download another ISO file, but with this one, these are the only ones I can have. If I'm not mistaken, this indeed makes the USB prepared for UEFI boot, so the problem isn't there.