allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just bought a used IBM Thinkpad 600 series from my office. They pulled
everything off of it before selling it, including the operating system. I
bought Windows XP, but when I put it in the CD drive, it just sits there. A
little diagram comes up on the screen that indicates I'm supposed to install
the disc, then push F1. When I do, a few numbers come up on the screen, and
it just sits there! What am I doing wrong?

On 24/11/2004 Allen wrote:

> I just bought a used IBM Thinkpad 600 series from my office. They
> pulled everything off of it before selling it, including the
> operating system. I bought Windows XP, but when I put it in the CD
> drive, it just sits there. A little diagram comes up on the screen
> that indicates I'm supposed to install the disc, then push F1. When I
> do, a few numbers come up on the screen, and it just sits there! What
> am I doing wrong?

You need to boot from the XP CD.

Put the CD in, turn on/re-boot the machine, press F1/Delete (whatever
is indicated) to enter the BIOS and ensure it is set up to boot from
the CD, save the settings and exit the BIOS, PC will re-boot to the CD
and you're in business.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

Allen;
Follow this for a Clean Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a used IBM Thinkpad 600 series from my office. They
>pulled
> everything off of it before selling it, including the operating
> system. I
> bought Windows XP, but when I put it in the CD drive, it just sits
> there. A
> little diagram comes up on the screen that indicates I'm supposed to
> install
> the disc, then push F1. When I do, a few numbers come up on the
> screen, and
> it just sits there! What am I doing wrong?

allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jeff,
Thank you! This worked (I actually had to press and hold F2, not F1 as the
diagram on the screen indicated). Turns out, it was not booting from the CD.
Once I switched that, everything worked.
Thanks again,
Allen