HELP CHOOSE ATI CARD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ruggsy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
hi.
I was recently told to purchase an ATI graphics card.
Also so you know I have always used EVGA GTX so i know nothing about ATI.
i will use it for gaming, not worried about maxing everything out. I just don't want lag or slow game play when a lot is happening at once.

guild wars2 / dragons age origins / diablo 3 / AND SUCH

watch movies // Maximum Resolution 1440 x 900 // I will upgrade much later.

i5-750 / asus sabertooth / G.SKILL Ripjaws Series /

must have pixel shader /// I will never use crossfire.

these are the ones i need to choose from. Or around the 200$ mark OR UNDER.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438&cm_re=xfx_Radeon_2.0-_-14-150-438-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150465&cm_re=xfx_Radeon_2.0-_-14-150-465-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462&cm_re=xfx_Radeon_2.0-_-14-150-462-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150436&cm_re=xfx_Radeon_2.0-_-14-150-436-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150464&cm_re=xfx_Radeon_2.0-_-14-150-464-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369&cm_re=xfx_Radeon_2.0-_-14-150-369-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=xfx_Radeon_2.0-_-14-150-447-_-Product

IF YOU KNOW OF ANOTHER LET ME KNOW ABOUT IT

OR SHOULD I JUST SPEND THE MONEY FOR THIS / <---REALLY STRAINS MY BUDGET

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150442

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

jyjjy, the HD4830 was worse than the HD4770. Repeating history?

Ruggsy: You have a couple choices. You can buy an expensive card (HD5850), which will leave you set for the next two-three years. OR you can buy a cheap card that MIGHT NOT let you play at 19x10 when yo uget your new monitor.

sinny1

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
19x10 = the 1080, the hd screen

anyway, if i were you, ruggsy, i would save up another hundred or so and go for the 5850, and im pretty sure the price gonna drop once nvidia new cards come out, again, the 5850 will future proof u for a couple years, and then u can xfire it when necessary, but if u really want the card now and with the $200 budget, i strongly suggest the 4890. the 5770 has eyefinity thing, dx11 thing, but it is a lot weaker than the 4890 when gaming, and i dont think u gonna use 3 monitors, are u? plus there are only couple dx11 games for now, even if more dx11 games come out in the very near future, im sure they can run on dx9. so either the 5850 or 4890, the 4850x2 or 4870x2 are nice too if u can get them for cheap, but be sure that you have enough power on your power supply... :) goodluck

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

The 4770 was a newer process, higher clocked, and GDDR5 vs GDDR3.
In this case the 5770 has half the 5830's bus width, both have GDDR5, 5830 has more SP's.

ruggsy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
There are many titles that use the PhysX SDK, but not all include support for PhysX hardware and instead only support Nvidia based GPUs.[17][18]
[edit] Games

The following games feature PhysX support (list may be incomplete):[19]

* 2 Days to Vegas
* Adrenalin 2: Rush Hour
* Age of Empires III (Only on the Mac version)
* Alpha Prime
* APB
* Army of Two
* Auto Assault
* Batman: Arkham Asylum
* Backbreaker
* B.A.S.E. Jumping
* Bet on Soldier: Blackout Saigon
* Bet on Soldier: Blood of Sahara
* Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport
* Beowulf: The Game
* Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
* Borderlands
* Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
* Captain Blood
* CellFactor: Combat Training
* CellFactor: Revolution
* City of Villains
* Crazy Machines 2
* Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason
* Dark Physics
* Darkest of Days
* Desert Diner
* Dragon Age: Origins[20]
* Dragonshard
* Dusk 12
* Empire Above All
* Empire Earth III
* Entropia Universe
* Fallen Earth
* Fat Princess
* Frontlines: Fuel of War
* Fury
* Gears of War
* Gears of War 2
* Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
* Race Driver: Grid
* Global Agenda
* Gluk'Oza: Action
* GooBall
* Gothic 3
* Gunship Apocalypse
* Heavy Rain
* Helldorado: Conspiracy
* Hero's Journey
* Hour of Victory
* Huxley
* iFluid
* Infernal
* Inhabited island: Prisoner of Power
* Joint Task Force
* Kran Simulator 2009[21]
* Kuma\War
* Aura of Wisdom
* Mafia 2
* Magic Ball 3
* Mass Effect
* Mass Effect 2
* Medal of Honor: Airborne
* Metro 2033
* Mirror's Edge
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
* Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia
* Monster Truck Maniax
* Myst Online: Uru Live
* Need for Speed: Shift
* Nights: Journey of Dreams
* Nurien
* Odd Blox
* Open Fire (and its successor, Open Fire Gold)
* Parabellum
* Paragraph 78
* Pirates of the Burning Sea
* Prince of Persia
* Point Blank
* PT Boats: Knights of the Sea
* Rail Simulator
* Red Steel
* Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
* Risen
* Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy
* Roboblitz
* Sacred 2
* Shadowgrounds: Survivor
* Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
* Showdown: Scorpion
* Silverfall
* Sovereign Symphony
* Sonic and the Black Knight
* Sonic and the Secret Rings
* Speedball 2
* Stoked
* Stoked Rider: Alaska Alien
* Switchball
* Trine
* The Hunt
* The Stalin Subway
* The Void
* Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
* Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
* Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
* Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
* Tortuga: Two Treasures
* Turok
* Two Worlds
* Ultra Tubes
* Unreal Tournament 3
* Unreal Tournament 3: Extreme Physics Mod
* Valkyria Chronicles
* Velvet Assassin
* Warfare
* Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction
* W.E.L.L. Online
* Winterheart's Guild
* Wolverine Origins
* WorldShift
* Zombie Driver

That sentence doesn't even make sense. That list is of games that use the SDK and a good number of them aren't even PC games FYI. Only a handful of them actually support hardware accelerated Physx(the only thing you need an Nvidia card for) and those games will still play fine on ATI hardware, they just won't be able to use the (usually minimal) bells & whistles of the hardware accelerated Physx. Physx has been around for a long time and as of now there are two games where Physx makes enough of a difference that the gaming experience is better on an Nvidia card imo. Those are Batman: AA and Sacred 2. The very fact that you need an Nvidia card to use it is what prevents Physx from wide adoption by developers and when it is used it's largely cosmetic. DX11 is a much more important feature to have for the future imo.

ruggsy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

that was not written by me. that is what it exactly says on the link. however i thank you for your input. i am having trouble on picking a card. ATI or other.
i have read a lot of problems with running Dragons age and batman using ATI cards. and a lot of drive issues un-related to old installed nvidia drives still installed. ATI tests and specs are far better than nivida, however i am really confused with the driver issues and the crashing while playing dragons age, batman and guilds wars,sacred 2..
if you read i want to switch from nivida to ATI. however i am concerned with the mentioned issues.
i am having a hard time pushing that buy button if you understand, these are an expensive investment.
i posted the above because i am concerned. no one is explaining it without the DIE HARD FAN INPUT. so as i research, these are the ISSUES i have found. I am completely ignorant when it comes to ATI cards or background. been EVGA all my life.
So does ATI 5770 still have driver issues with 64 bit windows 7 ?
will it still crash often while playing games such as dragon age and batman?
or have severe glitches when maxing out the resolution?
crossfire issues as well

I have a friend who has an HD5770 and has played through both of those games with no problems(I have an Nvidia card so I can't give any first hand reports.)
No product is perfect and for almost anything you might buy you will find a small but vocal minority complaining loudly and often if you look for them and my guess is that's exactly what you've done.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
PhysX is only hardware accelerated with either a powerful GPU or a dedicated GPU on a small amount of computers.
Windows Vista SP2+Windows 7 support DX11, that forces GPU's to adopt DX11.
So developers are looking at the iffy PhysX or the forced-adoption DX11.

I suspect DX11 will end up being adopted much more quickly and extensively than DX10 because there's actually an OS people might want to use that supports it(win7.) DX10 being Vista only had to have made it an afterthought to most developers, probably semi-similar to Physx in that a rather large chunk of their customer base simply couldn't use it.

ruggsy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
ok clicked the buy button. Bought the:
XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail price 229.99$ I hope i choose right.

ruggsy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
final build:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB x2 Timing 7-8-7-24-2N

ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156

Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint f3 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail

XFX P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Cooler Master RC-922M-KKN1-GP HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case (Black)

NZXT Sentry LX High Performance Fan Controller (Black)

Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler

final price with shipping $1404.11