News Help Cure Coronavirus with Your PC's Leftover Processing Power

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 25, 2020
I am getting repeated errors when accessing OpenCL.dll with the popup (in part), "... procedure entry point clReleaseDevice could not be located...".

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and installed in Administrator mode, if that helps.

How can I fix this?

Jeff

I am getting repeated errors when accessing OpenCL.dll with the popup (in part), "... procedure entry point clReleaseDevice could not be located...".

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and installed in Administrator mode, if that helps.

How can I fix this?

Jeff
Have a look here.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-missing/de5a9687-c53d-4f33-8b28-47dc8115e745

If that does not fix it you can download a copy of the file and manually copy it in C:\windows\System32

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020
If that does not fix it you can download a copy of the file and manually copy it in C:\windows\System32

I've got OpenCL.dll in three sub-folders on my C: drive ==>
C:\Windows\System32,
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\OpenCL

While all of them list the same creator (Khronos Group) and version (1.0.0.0), the first one is is 72.1 KB and the other two are 59.1 KB.

The Microsoft page says that, if running a 64-bit system, to place a copy in [blank]. I am assuming the [blank] is SysWOW64 because, while I have a folder named 'system', it is empty.

So... the OpenCL.dll files are where recommended, but they are different sizes even though the version is the same.

Also, the Microsoft website doesn't seem to have a download page for OpenCL.dll. Which site would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Mar 25, 2020
Okay... I copied the OpenCL file in my System32 folder to the SysWOW64 folder (the original was renamed).

Since then, I have seen no popups. However, I have also not seen any indication that my GPU is being used, only the CPU (of course, I was not seeing any GPU utilization before the switchover, either).

It's been a couple days and I have not had any Work Units assigned, so I'm wondering if I have screwed something up.

Jeff

Mar 25, 2020
AFTER A WEEK (my computer was in the shop due to a power on problem), it is being assigned Work Units, but it is still not using the CUDA cores on my GTX 970.

Jeff

AFTER A WEEK (my computer was in the shop due to a power on problem), it is being assigned Work Units, but it is still not using the CUDA cores on my GTX 970.

Jeff
check out our new thread here.
It tells you how to create a GPU slot for your video card.