Question HELP! Custom Water Cooling Setup!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
I wish to buy a custom water cooling setup for my upcoming Ryzen build!

I have an Antec P8 case and wish to buy the following items from Aliexpress for my setup, I intend to do only for CPU for now and wish to upgrade to a GPU block down the road.

360 Copper RAD!!

Pump+Reservoir!! -Suggest reservoir size(140 or 190 or 240)??

CPU Block!!

Please suggest me some good fittings and tubing for the above items, This is my first time going for a custom loop.

Please use this link for suggesting compatible fittings and also any other alternatives for the above mentioned items are welcome.

I'm living in India so the shipping is usually very high, so i had selected the above because of the price and free shipping.

Any suggestion or recommendation is highly welcome. Thanks

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Guys i messed up pretty bad. @rubix_1011

The gpu block got corroded pretty badly but there is no temp changes the bare copper beneath the nickel plating is shown.

Gpu block.

I cleaned with toothbrush and toothpaste. Should i use any other to clean more effectively.

I have taken all the parts apart cpu block is fine no corrosion there. Will check other parts and report later.

Splitters for two fans per header are fine, if you have enough fan headers.

You can also do a fan controller like the NZXT Grid V2 or V3. The V3 is the better product. There are a few others out there too but honestly if you can stick to controlling via the BIOS you are much better off than having to run additional, potentially invasive and buggy software, such as for the CAM software for the NZXT products or the various different Corsair softwares for their versions.

I'd also recommend that you stick to quality splitter cables such as those sold by Silverstone, Noctua, Thermalright, Rosewill, Cable matters (Usually decent), Phobya and EK among a few others. They are definitely not all created equal, as some have significantly smaller gauge and quality.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello @rubix_1011 @Karadjgne after some extensive cleaning.

Before:

DOvMPSS.jpg

After:
UeLDJsg.jpg

dIKMltl.jpg

I noticed some blue color tint in the jet path of the block before cleaning. I think the high concentration of copper sulfate displaced the nickel to be nickel sulfate. I think the protective nickel coating got corroded in some parts but the stain and yellow tint was removed after cleaning.

Used vinegar, Listerine, toothpaste and dishwasher to clean which left some scuff marks.
Will this gpu block be OK to use now?

How to clean the RAD's after this mishap? Please help.

I just purchased the Corsair Performance XL5 Clear Coolant which will be shipped on Feb 1st.

The CPU block is clean no residue, no color tint or corrosion. Need to check the fittings and RAD's.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Discolorations won't affect performance, so as long as there's no residue, and the gasket is good, you should be fine. Does look a lot healthier though.

As for cleaning the rad, first flush it well, dump it out, fill it about halfway ish then shake the bejeesus out of it, flush it again. Plain water.

Rinse and repeat several times. Personally, I've found a small amount of baking soda (not baking powder) dissolved in water and used for the shake does pretty good at neutralizing the copper sulfate, as it is on the acidic side of the spectrum and will grab any free floating copper ions.

After last water flush, use a light distilled vinegar solution, then flush with distilled water.

I used copper sulfate based biocides in pools years ago, about a cupful for a 10k gallon pool. I'd think with a liter of water it'd be 1-2 drops, depending on the concentration.

Reactions: JaSoN_cRuZe