Help deciding between brands for sub 2000 dollar laptop.

Aug 20, 2019
Hi- I’m having lots of trouble deciding which laptop to buy. I’m interested in the slim and light category of laptops. I am not interested in macs. That leaves me with the XPS series, the Razer Blades, Gigabyte’s Aero, and a few others.

I am just having such a hard time deciding what will be best. I just bought a lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme and i thought the premium i paid would be worth it but the laptop feels cheap to me and trackpad unresponsive at times. I read that the dells have thermal throttling issues, so I was going to go for the Blade but i read there is bad customer support.

I want this laptop to last at least 6 years and I’m not sure what to believe out there because everyone has complaints on every one of these brands so I’m not sure which will be more worth it. I love the feel of the Dells as well as the price for the parts, mainly the graphic card. I’m also in love with the 4k display vs the 1080p on the lenovo.

So i want to know what’s most worth it for my money in terms of performance and longevity? Is razer support really as bad as i thought?

Side note. I’m going to be using it for engineering and some light gaming on the side and i have the 8th gen i7 / 1050ti maxq. That’s why i was interested in some of the other laptops, even the lenovo Y740 for the specs and the dell xps15 with the 1060, and ips display. The lenovo just came at quite a premium at 1600 compared to the razer which would have the 1060 and the xps 1060 which are less. How is your customer service reliability experiences with each brand?

Thanks! :)

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Look into SagerNotebook (Clevo), they were the same as Alienware (without the over the top prices) before Dell took over the Alienware name.

They have been around a LONG time, first one I bought from them was a PENTIUM 3!!!!

They also let you customize a LOT more options.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

There are reviews out there, they are also sold pre-configured on Amazon.

Last edited: