Help! did i just fry my cpu?

fracta11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
So I just put together my new pc and everythings going fine for the most part, so I decided to start ocing it and seeing how high I can go I was semi stable at 4.2 ghz @ 1.18 put decided to bump it up to 1.19 to make it a little more stable, in my haste I accidently set the vcore to 1.9 I think...now its not booting of course and I get the debug led code of 04 which is south bridge initialization every time I try to boot up...can't even get in BIOS to fix it. Did I completely screw up my CPU? Also will my mobo be okay? Any help will be appreciated thanks.

CPU is a Intel I5 3750k
Mobo is an msi mpower z77

Solution
Unplug your Power cord, and remove the CMOS battery temporarily.
Reseat it, plug in your power cord again and try powering on.

If that doesn't work, then yes you completely fried it.

fracta11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

I already tried that :/, so I'm thinking its probably fried then. Damn I can't believe I did this...lol. do I have to worry about my motherboard too? Or should I just get a new cpu?
Thank you for your answer!

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Can you even set the vcore to 1.9v on that board? Sending that kind of voltage into even a sandy bridge is going to melt it. I hope you didn't fry it out; but if you've pulled the battery off the motherboard, shorted the clear cmos jumper (if it has one), and left it unplugged for a bit; then it's probably fried.