Help - Error Code 7f After BIOS Update [ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 + 9900K]

Status
Not open for further replies.

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Hello everyone,

Stressing pretty hard right now. I just recently upgraded my 6700K, Maximus VIII Formula, 32GB 2666MHzHyperX Fury to a 9900K, Maximus XI Formula, 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz. System ran perfect fine for a day. The next day, I was trying to OC my 9900K. Using AI overclock in the BIOS, I only set my CPU Core Ratio to "AI Optimized" and DRAM to the XMP 1 profile, and CPU_FAN to Turbo instead of standard. I didn't change anything else.

Booted the PC and everything seemed totally fine. AI OC set it to 5.1GHz with 1.289V. My cooler is a Noctua NH-D15 with ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut. I was getting about 25-30C at idle.

Ran Prime95 for stability, and then walked away. Came back about 5 minutes later and had a blue screen with stop code "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

Rebooted, and less than a minute into being booted into Windows, I got another blue screen that read "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

Rebooted again, but after a few minutes I got another blue screen, this time "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION"

Rebooted again, looked into the blue screens. Most of them said it could be instability related to drivers and BIOS. So I downloaded the most recent BIOS version (0602), which the notes said "increased system stability." That seemed to be an issue I was having. I followed the guide in the manual for updating the BIOS. Downloaded it, extracted the file, copied it to the flash drive (USB 2.0). Renamed the file M11F.CAP. Then shutdown my PC. I placed the flash drive into the BIOS flashback port, then held the BIOS flashback button for 3 seconds. The light began flashing. After a couple minutes, the light went out, which the manual states is the indication that it's complete (the status LED on the flash drive itself also turned off). I removed the flash drive, then pressed the start button on the motherboard. It didn't boot, and just said 7f on the postcode display. I tried restarting several times. I tried clearing the CMOS several times. Nothing. I then tried reflashing to the previous BIOS version (0506), and did the same things, with the same results.

What do I do? Is my motherboard bricked?

Thanks in advance. Feel free to ask any questions, I may have left something out while writing this.

System Specs:

• -i9-9900K
    -Noctua NH-D15 (ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut)
    -32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz
    -RTX 2080Ti FE
    -ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    -Samsung 960 EVO for boot drive
    -EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
    -Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709 Build 16299.125

Update: Attempted BIOS recovery according to page 3-31 of the manual. Nothing happened.

I attempted to breadboard it, to narrow down the potential problem. I shut the system down, turned off the power supply and drained capacitors. Unplugged the 2080Ti and removed it. Turned the PSU back on, then powered on the system. Still 7f.

I shut the system down, turned off the PSU, drained capacitors, and removed all of the RAM. Still 7f.

I have only the motherboard, CPU + cooler and PSU that are connected. What more can I do?

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

What? I changed the CPU, motherboard, and RAM. I had a 6700K in a Maximus VIII Formula. I pulled that out of the case and put a 9900K in a Maximus XI Formula in the case.

all you said was you upgraded your CPU from a 6700K to a 9900K so it was possible you were using the wrong motherboard. wording is key when explaining issues.

the 9900K would work out of the box with a Z390 motherboard but if this is a bad BIOS update the only thing you can do is contact asus for a possible RMA under warranty

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

I said that I changed all three components. I wrote "I just recently upgraded my 6700K, Maximus VIII Formula, 32GB 2666MHzHyperX Fury to a 9900K, Maximus XI Formula, 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz"

The PC was working completely fine for a whole day. Even when OCed it worked, it just crashed a few times. I didn't get the 7f code until the BIOS update.

apalio

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

I did read about that on reddit. I tried that, as well as removing the GPU completely, and using the HDMI out on the rear I/O of the board. Still 7f. I even tried breadboarding (removed the RAM), still 7f, even with only the CPU, cooler and PSU connected to the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.