[SOLVED] Help for setting up a router to a repeater

awerdas

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Noob to networking and need a little help about setting up my extra router as a wifi repeater (TP-Link). Since my main router can't reach devices one floor above I'm thinking of making my old router as a repeater and put it on the second floor, the thing is I don't know how to set it up. The only thing I know is that the two router have to be connected and I'm thinking of connecting the two routers wired then the old router give wireless signal to the devices above. How and where do I need to connect the ports of the two routers and how do I set it up on their settings so that whenever I go the above floor it would automatically connect to the extra router.

Solution
You have to be able to disable the DHCP function on the AP or you will have major issues. All routers I have seen have that option.

You should also be able to limit the pool on the main router but you are generally safe to use x.x.x.250 as the IP on the AP since the dhcp gives out ip addresses from the low end and few people will ever use up all the IP.
This is where terminology is important. A repeater generally means it receives the signal from the main router via wifi and sends it to the end device via wifi. This requires the router have a very special feature.

Since you are talking about using a ethernet cable what you are talking about is running a AP. This is your best option when you want to extend wifi.

If you search "how to use a router as a AP" you will find huge amounts of information as well as many videos. Some routers have a AP function but you can use almost any router as a AP.

Reactions: awerdas and SamirD

awerdas

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
This is where terminology is important. A repeater generally means it receives the signal from the main router via wifi and sends it to the end device via wifi. This requires the router have a very special feature.

Since you are talking about using a ethernet cable what you are talking about is running a AP. This is your best option when you want to extend wifi.

If you search "how to use a router as a AP" you will find huge amounts of information as well as many videos. Some routers have a AP function but you can use almost any router as a AP.
Thanks! I successfully turned the old router as an AP but the problem is when I'm connected and go to some website or just refresh a tab from the browser the router seems to restart itself. It's like a cycle like whenever I use the internet the router suddenly restarts.
Maim router: AN5506_04F1A
Old router: TP-Link TD-W8951ND

awerdas

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
I think its the ip since in the main router theres no option to disable or enable dhcp and no designated ip to configure where to start or end the ip for the old router.

You have to be able to disable the DHCP function on the AP or you will have major issues. All routers I have seen have that option.

You should also be able to limit the pool on the main router but you are generally safe to use x.x.x.250 as the IP on the AP since the dhcp gives out ip addresses from the low end and few people will ever use up all the IP.

Solution
That is a strange ip to use. It should be fine to use 192.168.254.250. Almost all DHCP pools start at the bottom of the range.....then again most people assign the router the .1 IP. There is no rule the gateway can actually be any ip in the subnet but to avoid confusing people it is almost always the lowest one. It is less common but like yours they also use the highest IP in the subnet.