help, I need the QVL for the Asus p5B

DrSatan316

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
So I'm looking at the Asus P5B (non-deluxe) because it's the least expensive board I've found that has what I am looking for but the asus website says to look at it's QVL and cpu support but I can't seem to find it for this model. I can get it for a lot of their other models though.

looking at:
Asus P5B
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6600
Corsair XMS 2GB dual channel kit 2x 1GB DDR2 800

I don't wanna end up having to replace the RAM or buy a cheap socket 775 cpu just to update the bios.

much appriciated for any help

DrSatan316

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
Thanks for the recommendation. Does that mean you believe the p5b will not support it? I would rather stick with Asus but if that means having to buy a extra chip just to update bios, I guess I'll have to think on it. Or can I order a newer rom somewhere just to insert on the mobo directly?

thanks again

Gigabyte boards are just as good as Asus boards in terms of reliability and stability. The P5B will support Conroe, but I am 70% sure the P5B will require a BIOS update. It is quite possible that i'm wrong though.

AlexanderTheGreat

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Gigabyte boards are just as good as Asus boards in terms of reliability and stability. The P5B will support Conroe, but I am 70% sure the P5B will require a BIOS update. It is quite possible that i'm wrong though.

Does P5B or P5B Deluxe have quad core support?

AlexanderTheGreat

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Ok, Kentsfield will have 1333FSB? will the bios update let P5B Deluxe go to 1333FSB? Probably not, since it would have had to have the 1333 FSB build onto the board.

<Just out of curiosity, I am geting this p5b deluxe board and the x6800. There will be no reason for me to even upgrade to the 3.2mhz version of the x6800, let alone a kentsfield. However, if I do in need the quadcore in the future, I would like to know if this board will fully support it. If you can, please let me know what my concerns should be>

If not, then no worries. I'll just go ahead and get whatever premium comes out then + quad.

I believe all of the Conroe supporting boards are physically built to support Kentsfield, but as I said, a BIOS update may be required to enable that support.

There is no 3.2Ghz version of the X6800, and I don't think there is one planned. The 3.2 you're thinking of is probably earlier speculation about the stock frequencies of the Conroe chips from a few months ago. The X6800 which comes stock at 2.93 can be easily overclocked to 3.2, and uses a 1066Mhz fsb.