Question [HELP] I scratched my motherboard, damage assessment?

Aug 13, 2023
I scratched my motherboard while prying off my case gpu expansion metal strips. Any suggestions to avoid future damage? Should I be worried?

Images

Well, the damage is already done, so............

As to whether you should be worried, the image is too far away and lacking in close up detail enough to even make a guess at whether any of the traces or components have been damaged. A closer, higher resolution image would be helpful.

Aug 13, 2023
Well, the damage is already done, so............

As to whether you should be worried, the image is too far away and lacking in close up detail enough to even make a guess at whether any of the traces or components have been damaged. A closer, higher resolution image would be helpful.
Gonna upload more as soon as possible. I have one more photo that may help.

Here

If you are using a phone camera, I would recommend setting it to it's highest resolution possible, with the best quality settings possible, and then turning on the flash, and take the picture from light maybe a foot away. If the flash corrupts the image, turn off the flash. Maybe just lay the unit on it's side under a ceiling light or lamp instead so the light isn't as damaging to the image.

It really doesn't matter it either functions or it doesn't. Most people do not have the skills or the tools to repair a board if you actually did something like cut a trace. Only thing you can really do is get some clear nail polish and cover it so nothing will short the now exposed copper.
If the motherboard was very expensive there are place that can fix them but expect to spend a few hundred in repair and shipping costs so it is not worth it for most motherboards.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

solder mask would protect it its not that deep so it might be you got lucky looks like its only a removal of solder mask and it isnt impossible to fix traces on a motherboard however it takes a decent ammount of skill

Learning lessons are painful sometimes. My advice would be, disable the ethernet completely, get an add in NIC network adapter and of course if there are audio problems, do the same. Buying cheap but decent add in PCIe cards is less expensive than replacing the board, although, do not be surprised if one area of damage to the board eventually becomes problems in other areas as well.

For me, if ANYTHING is wrong with the board, the whole board is suspect.