Question Help in deciding how to move forward upgrading motherboard

Marvin Jahya

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Hello there,

I am having trouble in deciding on how to proceed with upgrading my motherboard.
To begin with, the reason why I wanted to upgrade is because my CPU's 2.0 ghz speed becomes very unbearable. (E5 2660 V4)
I wanted to upgrade only the CPU. However, my motherboard's socket is an LGA 2011 v-3 (Asrock x99 Xtreme4).
There are not a lot of economical options to upgrade the CPU by keeping the motherboard.
There is also another dilemma. Since my motherboard is loaded with 8 RAM slots, I installed 8x8 GB in those slots.
I think all motherboard for LGA 1151 has a maximum of 4 slots.

This computer is utilized for gaming, sketchup, render, photoshop, illustrator, and various architectural works.

I have 2 options in mind on how to proceed with this upgrade.

1. Intel 9700K/9900K, $300-$350 LGA 1151 Motherboard, and $450 for 16 x 4 RAM

2. Intel 7820X, $300-$350 LGA 2066 Motherboard, reusing current ram

While the pricing in option 2 is about 300-400 dollar cheaper than option 1, I am very concerned about future proofing.
I do not want to repeat the LGA 2011 mistake.

In your opinion which option out of these 2 seems to be better?
Please let me know if there are any additional options or feedback regarding this upgrade.

Thanks!

Marvin

The LGA 1151 is considered mainstream and the 2011 and 2066 are considered HEDT (high end desk top).

The 2066 basically replaced the 2011.

There is a limited lifespan on all these sockets.

I really don't think you made a mistake on the 2011. I think it's just that it's getting old.

I recently went for the 2066 socket with a 7800X. I think it has a lot of life left in it. I also think the 1151 does as well.....although I'm still running a 2011 socket too with an i7-980 and it runs pretty damn good for being 2019.

My point is....I wouldn't let the socket be the sole determiner.

...and if you look at the 2066....you can go with way more cores in the future (than the 7820X).....so you have a lot of headroom for upgrading.

kanewolf

Titan
You picked the wrong CPU. You can probably sell that one to somebody that is running VMs (the market targeted for that kind of CPU). Your motherboard will support a V3 or V4 CPU.
Since that is a single socket motherboard, you don't have to get an E5-2xxx CPU. Get an E5-1xxx CPU. An E5-1680V4 gets you an 8 core with 3.4Ghz base clock that will drop right into your current rig.

Marvin Jahya

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
You picked the wrong CPU. You can probably sell that one to somebody that is running VMs (the market targeted for that kind of CPU). Your motherboard will support a V3 or V4 CPU.
Since that is a single socket motherboard, you don't have to get an E5-2xxx CPU. Get an E5-1xxx CPU. An E5-1680V4 gets you an 8 core with 3.4Ghz base clock that will drop right into your current rig.

Thank you very much for getting back to me!
I have 2 issues regarding this solution that might sounds like a beginner question.
  1. There are no new listings for the E5-1680 V4, saw one on Ebay but never had used cpu before. Is used cpu as good as new one?
  2. I realized the CPU was released quite a while ago, is old cpu still viable today? Especially if its used one too.

Marvin

Marvin Jahya

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
The LGA 1151 is considered mainstream and the 2011 and 2066 are considered HEDT (high end desk top).

The 2066 basically replaced the 2011.

There is a limited lifespan on all these sockets.

I really don't think you made a mistake on the 2011. I think it's just that it's getting old.

I recently went for the 2066 socket with a 7800X. I think it has a lot of life left in it. I also think the 1151 does as well.....although I'm still running a 2011 socket too with an i7-980 and it runs pretty damn good for being 2019.

My point is....I wouldn't let the socket be the sole determiner.

...and if you look at the 2066....you can go with way more cores in the future (than the 7820X).....so you have a lot of headroom for upgrading.

Got it, I'd put that in mind.
I agree with you, the 2011 that I have now is still rocking very well!
Just takes forever to load my model and to run intensive games.
The reason I wont go with 7800X is because of the low core count, I need at least 8.

Thanks for the advice!

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you very much for getting back to me!
I have 2 issues regarding this solution that might sounds like a beginner question.
  1. There are no new listings for the E5-1680 V4, saw one on Ebay but never had used cpu before. Is used cpu as good as new one?
  2. I realized the CPU was released quite a while ago, is old cpu still viable today? Especially if its used one too.
Marvin
That CPU isn't officially end of sale according to Intel's website, but it was released in 2016 so you may not find any new units. Used parts are a risk. You have to depend on the reputation of the seller. ASRock provides a list of ALL the compatible CPUs. You can look at the Intel ARK (previous link) for detailed info any specific CPU. It will depend on what you can find.

Marvin Jahya

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
That CPU isn't officially end of sale according to Intel's website, but it was released in 2016 so you may not find any new units. Used parts are a risk. You have to depend on the reputation of the seller. ASRock provides a list of ALL the compatible CPUs. You can look at the Intel ARK (previous link) for detailed info any specific CPU. It will depend on what you can find.
I see, well buying the new CPU costs 1.7k. Therefore I think its not a viable choice.
However I appreciate the feedback!