Help in Speedfan.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizomzimba

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Nukemaster, right now my average temperature is 31c. My temp for something called my HD0 is 39c my main fan is at 55%, averaging 2007 rpm. I don't know much about advanced computing, and i just need to know if these readings are normal! Can you help?

they are normal(or at least seems so to me, the HD0[Hard Disk 0] may be a bit warm, but nowhere near dangerous). It looks like your board is controlling the fan(s) on its own, is that the way it is? If you find it too warm you can always turn that off in the bios(provided its a board that lets you turn it off).

In general I would not worry about it

Are you having any problems you think are related to heat?

lizomzimba

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
For a while my computer would shut off at random, and it was suggested it might be the computer overheating and shutting down, and to try this application.

However the computer seems fine now after i did the good ole' system restore :)

Thanks for your help :hello: bye!

mashly_2007

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Hi I was reading this thread and sounded as if there was someone who knows what they are doing and might be able to help me figure out my speedfan abit.

I am running a AMD Athlon64 2800+ and a geforce 6600gt, my motherboard is a Elitegroup K8M800-M2 in a cheap case i dont know what it is but it has a fan and heatsink on the cpu an exhaust fan (I want to upgrade all this soon and just have to get some money first).

In speedfand it has a long list of temps

GPU 56
Temp 1 always over 100
Temp 2 40
Temp 3 15 - 40
Local 44
Remote 53
HD0 33
HD1 38
Temp 1 40

It has two fans one at 902 rpm and the other at 2679 rpm

If you could help me find some answers to what all of these are your help would be much appreciated

If you enter your motherboards bios, then go under hardware monitor. You should see what the motherboard calls them all.

Its hard to guess... but i would say

GPU 56 - This is listed. Its your video card
Temp 1 always over 100 - This seems hot even for a old Athlon. I would check the bios to make sure the cpu is not running this hot
Temp 2 40 - This may well be the cpu.
Temp 3 15 - 40 - Maybe the chipset?
Local 44 - CPU again? check the bios to see or load the cpu(with a game or something that makes it work) and see what temp goes up.
Remote 53 - No clue, if it was a very old Athlon XP i would say cpu, but unless your full load, your 2800 will not do that. If you do not have cool n quiet on, this may well be a cpu temp as well, but still seems high.
HD0 33 - First Hard Drive
HD1 38 - Second Hard Drive
Temp 1 40 - Case or chipset?

Normally one says Core for your cpu to be honest.

If you click configure on speedfan the first tab should show the sensors in use for your readings. One should be called AMD K8. That is your cpu temp from the onboard(in cpu core) sensor. You may also have another cpu on another sensor from some kind of thermal sensor in the socket. Your hard drives will have there own sensors called HDDX(XXX.XGB). The X's will be the drive number and the capacity. Your video card will be listed as well.

Some times there are sensors on the chip that are not hooked up, that can give you temps like that 100c thing. In that case(the bios does not report anything at 100c), you can uncheck it so you do not have to see it.

ikeboy79

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
HI i want to know if my fan& temp readings are normal because my computer turned off recently. I opened it up and cleared some dust off of the heatsink, my video card, and the fan over the heatsink with a aircan spray. my computer is all in a regular case.

My specs on speedfan reads as follows: when idle (note that my fans are a little noisy)

GPU=68-70C
Temp1=39C
temp2=29C
temp3=36C
HD0=44C
HD1=40C

My RPN readings are this:

Fan1=0
Fan2=2136
Fan3=0

that is alll it displays and i want to know which one is which? why do i have 3 diff temps? why are only 1 fan reading is showing numbers?

anyways my computer specs are this.

HP pavillion 754n
P4 2.54ghz
motherboard name is: MS-6577 (Xenon 3)
evga 6600GT 128mb video card
1 Gig of ram
One 80GB HD
One 120GB HD
CD drive & CD/DVD writer drive

Your temps are in the normal range. A bit warm, but not anything to worry about.

Make sure you keep you power supply fan clean as well. If it overheats it will shut down to prevent damage.

The reason you only see the one fan is due to how the board is made. Not all boards support fan reading as well as speed. I have some boards that let me see the speed but not control and others with none at all. Also some times there is the hardware to control fans, but it is not connected to anything. The same goes for temp sensors, that is why some users see things like 150c all the time on a temp sensor in speedfan.

HP systems normally control there own fan speed as needed, so you should be ok.

If you start to have recurring issues, then we will have to look for the cause.

bef99

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I am trying speedfan for a temporary fix at the moment, but if I like the way it works I will continue to use it and may even recommend it to some friends. My computer is consistently overheating, but is scheduled to be fixed in 2 weeks. Luckily it is under warranty. In the mean time I need to make it operational - bad time of the semester to have your computer breakdown with the amount of papers and projects I have going on.

Here are the speedfan specs I am getting:
GPU: 69C
Core 0: 74C
Core 1 :74C
DIMM: 60 C
Temp 4: 52 C
CPU: 59C
GPU 53C

Fan 1: 2644 RPM
Fan 2: 3035 RPM
Fan 3: 922 RPM

The computer is overheating when I am using (or putting stress) on the video card. What would be the optimal set-up to keep the computer running smoothly?

Computer is a Dell Inspiron E1705

Thank you for you help.

Being a laptop and a Dell, you may have to enable Dell Support in the speedfan options. After that since you are trying to cool it as much as you can, just crank the fans. Most notebook cpus and gpus can take a fair bit of heat.

It may be a good idea to get a can of compressed air to keep the heatsink/fan clean since dust greatly reduces the ability of the fan to push air into the heatsink.

will124

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hi Nukemaster,

I'm wondering if you can help me - you seem to know you're way around Speedfan...

I have 3 case fans and 1 CPU fan. 2 of the case fans have 3-pin connectors and the other one has only 2-pins, therefore I understand this 2-pin one cannot be monitored, but still controlled.

I have recently installed Speedfan and have had some success with it. However, for some reason Speedfan has bundled all 3 of my case fans together, so i can only control all 3 of them together - not individually. The CPU fan cannot be controlled at all, but it can be monitored.

All my fans are running off the MB. I'm just wondering if you can think of a reason why the 3 case fans would be bundled together like that?

Thanks.

If all 3 control with one speed, then they are most likely linked on the board. So one power supply drives all of them

The cpu fan may have its own built in control(q-fan,smart fan ect) that can be turned off in the bios. You can also turn those off in the advanced speedfan options some times.

speedfanadvanced.jpg

If you change a setting(lets say I set Software controlled), you need to check remember it box if you want speedfan to change it every time.

The 2 pin fan may fully lack any kind of hardware on the motherboard to vary its voltage.

What board do you have. There are some boards that lack fan control on some fan headers.

will124

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
My MB is an Asus P5Q-E - it's quite a new one so I think it should be able to control the fans.

I don't really understand those settings in the Advanced tab - what are they for?

Thanks

Yes, thats a very new board and most asus ones control all there fans. As i have said, some are linked sometimes.

Advanced lets you see each sensor or device the board is using. each board has different sensors. Software controlled or manual control on some boards just tells the board to not vary the fan, this in turn allows you to control them.

Since its a new Asus board, i would first try the Qfan options in the bios. You may find one that gives the right balance of cool temps and quiet operation.

As said, if you turn Qfan off in the bios under hardware monitor, you can control the fans without any advanced settings.

will124

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I've made sure Qfan is turned off in the BIOS but i still don't seem to be able to control each fan individually. The same goes for the CPU fan which shouldn't be controlled by Qfan, seeing as I've disabled it, but I still can't control it in Speedfan.

Weird huh?

dec16

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi nukemaster,

I just downloaded speedfan a few days ago and i need your help in the configuration. I'm quite an idiot when it comes to computer so kindly forgive me if i asked any stupid questions later.

The reading shown by SpeedFan currently is as follows:

Temp1: 75C
Temp2: 45C
Temp3:18C
HD0: 42C
Temp1: 49C

Fan1: 3924 RPM
Fan2: 0 RPM
Fan3: 0 RPM

I dunno what's my motherboard model but my pc's a Acer Aspire SA85.

Thanks!

dec16

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
CPU? Erm, I went to system properties and it shows Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz.
It that what u are asking for?

crashing ah? don't think so but my pc have been auto restarting every few days when i try to open something (IE or other programs) soon after i on it.

oh just fyi, current reading on SpeedFan is as follows:

The reading shown by SpeedFan currently is as follows :

Temp1: 58C
Temp2: 43C
Temp3:20C
HD0: 43C
Temp1: 50C

Fan1: 2860 RPM
Fan2: 0 RPM
Fan3: 0 RPM

Ok, Well based on on your temps.

Temp1 = CPU
Temp2 = Chipset (that little share thing, normally between the cpu and the video card)
Temp3 = Some kind of ambient case temp sensor
HD0 = You hard disk
Temp1 (the 2nd one) = Not 100% sure, could be near the chipset or power system

Fan1 = CPU FAN
Fan2 = NC
Fan3 = NC

Now if you have the computer restarting, there may be a heat issue. First thing to do, is tell Windows to NOT restart on errors.

Right click the My Computer icon on the desktop or in start menu.
Click Properties then the tab called Advanced
Under the Startup and Recovery section select Properties
Under System failure clear the check mark from Automatically restart.

autorestart.gif

This way if it happens to have a error causing the restart, the computer will give you a blue screen with an error message you can post for more help.

Next thing you should check is if your CPU heat sink is clean(get a can of compressed air to clean it). the fins are fairly close and thereby collect allot of dust. Dust causes higher temps.

Last thing to look at...

Make sure the heatsink/fan looks to be holding good. In some cases the Intel stock heatsink pins can come loose causing the heatsink to have poor contact with the CPU.

If you have any questions, just ask.

G

Hey,

Just downloaded SpeedFan and i've been following your walkthrough but no matter what i do my fanspeed wont change what so ever.. I've got a dual core AMD tho and i have never tried anything like this before.. Just want my computer to be more silent.. Help? :p

dec16

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi nukemaster,

I encountered the following error message (partial only) the next day, when starting windows after clearing the check mark from Automatically restart.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information: STOP: 0x0000000A (0x740BD42C, 0x0000001C, 0x00000001C, 0x804DC84C)"

Did not take down the whole message but think it mentioned to restart my computer if it was my 1st time encountering the error msg and ask if I have downloaded anything new and also to check BIOS and stuff.

Anything I should be doing regarding the above?

Thanks!

STOP: 0x0000000A is very general. It can mean anything from poorly designed software/drivers to hardware failure such as bad memory or cpu.

You can run the software memtest86+ to check your memory. This software takes a long time and should generally be run overnight. It comes in the form of a bootable CD(ISO in the .zip file format). You burn this image with your favorite cd burning software(burn the image, not just burn the iso file itself to a CD)

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Keep an eye on it and see if its always that error. This is no different then the system restarting, just allows you to see its an error with/in windows(hardware errors crash windows as well) and not a computer restarting for some other reason.

Did you manage to clean your cpu heatsink if its full of dust?

dec16

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi nukemaster,

Followed your above link and came to the webpage that shows the following:

** Memtest86+ V4.00 (22/09/2009) **

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)
Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)
Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

:sweat: Er...Which one should i be downloading?

Have yet to buy a can of compressed air so haven't clean up my cpu yet, will get it done over the weekend :p

Oh, another thing i forgot to ask previously. The below error msg has been popping up for months everytime I start up my computer.

"Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\cpmrotate.dll"

Anything I should do or take note of regarding this?

Thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.