Feb 25, 2019
Powered by a Corsair HX 850:

I recently installed a GTX 1060 6gb along side my radeon R9 270X.
the 270x requires two 6pin PCi cords to run. so i purchased another 6pin PCi to power the 1060 however my computer doesnt start on power up.
pcpp says i should only be drawing around 350-400w
am i missing something or do i need a more powerful PSU?
Please and thank you

CPU: Intel i7-4770k
MOBO: MSI Z87-G45
RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance
GPU: Radeon r9 270x
& GTX 1060 6gb FE
PSU: Corsair HX 850
Case: Rosewill ATX Mid tower

Solution
That's like filling your car tire according to the pressure indicated on the tire instead of what's on the label inside the car door frame.

Anyway, I did not think it was possible to have both AMD and nVidia cards installed on the same mobo.
It's possible but it can be a pain to get them to work together. In this case you'd want the 1060 6gb in the top PCIE slot as the primary card connected to the main gaming monitor. Then connect the R9 270X on the lower PCIE slot and have that connected to the other monitors. Drivers is were this gets really difficult as you'll want to get the 1060 6gb drivers from Nvidia but for the AMD drivers I'd update those via Device Manager and hope it doesn't interfere with the Nvidia drivers...
Feb 25, 2019
The HX850W should be sufficient but why would you run both of those GPUs? Your going to run into driver issues.

The problem you might have is when you bought the additional cable was it made for your PSU or no? If not then there's your issue.

the r9 has 2 DVI ports while the 1060 does not
ive been running a dual monitor set up for a while and just want to continue that trend
and i believe the cord is compatible (300v 18AWG)

WildCard999

Titan
That's like filling your car tire according to the pressure indicated on the tire instead of what's on the label inside the car door frame.

Anyway, I did not think it was possible to have both AMD and nVidia cards installed on the same mobo.
It's possible but it can be a pain to get them to work together. In this case you'd want the 1060 6gb in the top PCIE slot as the primary card connected to the main gaming monitor. Then connect the R9 270X on the lower PCIE slot and have that connected to the other monitors. Drivers is were this gets really difficult as you'll want to get the 1060 6gb drivers from Nvidia but for the AMD drivers I'd update those via Device Manager and hope it doesn't interfere with the Nvidia drivers. Another more viable option is if the other monitors can connect to the motherboard then go into the BIOS and enable the iGPU on the 4770K. This is typically the better idea as the iGPU drivers won't affect the Nvidia drivers and you don't need to run a secondary GPU. The most ideal is just to have all the monitors connected to the 1060 and even though it doesn't have the DVI connections you may be able to get a active adapter to go from DVI to ??? to make them work.

Reactions: SerKenji
Solution
Feb 25, 2019
you'd want the 1060 6gb in the top PCIE slot as the primary card connected to the main gaming monitor. Then connect the R9 270X on the lower PCIE

Thing is the R9 has to go on top cause its so massive, its the only port that it can fit inside the case :/
Let's say i used an HDMI to DVI cable to go from the 1060 to my second monitor; would it support the use of dual monitors or would it be mirrored?

Feb 25, 2019
HDMI to DVI would work but the adapter needs to be active, a non active adapter won't work.

I activated the iGPU and downloaded the driver from intel
My displays are divided and the settings are saying my primary is 144hz 1080p and the secondary off the MOBO is 60hz 1080p which is all correct
now i just have to make sure my primary is running only on the GPU driver and im cool where im at
I really appreciate your help and insight
thank you kindly

WildCard999

Titan
Your welcome, since the secondary monitors are connected to the motherboard then there's no way there running off the 1060. Whatever display you have connected to the 1060 is the only display the 1060 is going to run and thus be the primary one. From the sounds of it you have it setup correctly.

Reactions: SerKenji

TRENDING THREADS