[SOLVED] [HELP] Internet speed basically died

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello, so to start off I would like to say that I pay for Gigabyte internet for speeds around a gig.
So up until yesterday my internet would run like usual, about 300-600 Mbps, however yesterday that changed to about 15 Mbps for a reason of which I don't know.

A few things for context, I will be comparing speeds from my computer with speeds from my iPhone 6s. (I know I should be using Ethernet for my pc but for reasons I can't explain I can't.)
Also my specs;
Ryzen 5 3600
TUF Gaming x570-Plus (WI-FI) | I use the included wifi adaptor which Is seen on the packaging for the product
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (x2) DDR4

So on my pc as I previously stated I am only getting ~15 Mbps where as on my phone I get around ~200 with it placed in the exact same position as the adaptor.
This leads me to believe that it is a hardware issue on my pc. Furthermore all my software drivers and firmware are up to date.

AC-9260 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) is what says comes with the motherboard in the adaptor which should be able to handle speeds way faster than 15 Mbps

Also something else of note which is probably unrelated but worth mentioning, the day before my internet went haywire I got a new headset
Plugged it in and it worked fine but after I shut down my pc for the day that's when I started having issues.

Edit 1: I just used windows diagnose tool on the adapter through "Network Connections" on the control panel and it says "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but this device or resource (DNS server) is not responding" Don't know if that will help anyone solve that but the more info the better.

Solution
I would wait a day or so and cycle through a few system power offs for both your computer and other network devices.

Then, if network speeds do not recover, start taking a closer look at what your system is doing via Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Resource Monitor > Overview. (Watch for awhile.) Then select the Network tab.

Be methodical. Start watching just after initial boot. Then do some light work and browsing. Lastly apps and games as you normally do and play.

Look for what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what process, app, or service is using any given resource.

Remember you can sort the results by clicking the small up or down arrow icons that...

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
On your pc run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.
Assuming you are just looking for the active one here is what it says:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mediacom.info
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 04-6C-59-B3-89-9F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.9(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 6, 2021 5:44:02 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 13, 2021 6:44:02 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

There are other replies that it gave but all the others are disconnected

Ralston18

Titan
Only one network adapter (wireless) is enabled/connected - good.

Any network or wireless related errors in Reliability History? Or any errors at all especially any the began with the new headsets.

(Reliability History uses a time line format. You can also click on errors to get more detailed information about any given error. The details may or may not be helpful.)

= = = =

Noted that drivers are "up to date". However that does not exclude the problem as being a corrupted or buggy driver.

Manually download the network adapter drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure for your network. (No third party installers.)

Also consider that there could be some Windows related file corruption.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

One more thing. After making network related changes give the computer and network a "few minutes" to sort of catch up on re-establishing communications. Maybe even, after a few minutes, power down and reboot to get a clean start.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019

Any network or wireless related errors in Reliability History? Or any errors at all especially any the began with the new headsets.

(Reliability History uses a time line format. You can also click on errors to get more detailed information about any given error. The details may or may not be helpful.)

= = = =

Noted that drivers are "up to date". However that does not exclude the problem as being a corrupted or buggy driver.

Manually download the network adapter drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure for your network. (No third party installers.)

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

One more thing. After making network related changes give the computer and network a "few minutes" to sort of catch up on re-establishing communications. Maybe even, after a few minutes, power down and reboot to get a clean start.

First off thank you for the response.

I have already manually reinstalled all relevant drivers from manufacturers website, I did this late yesterday after the problem had persisted for a while.

"sfc /scannow" Said that there was some corrupt files that have now been repaired

I also followed the DISM guide which you linked but that found no problems

I will shut down my PC now and see if it made and difference and either edit or send another reply shortly.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019

= = = =

References:

Well I just shut down my pc and turned it back on, gave it a few mins and its still, well terrible.

I don't really understand what the Reliability history is showing me but I could post a snip if that helps.

Photo of current speeds (on PC)

Reliability info for 6/3/2021
Info for 6/4/2021 (Critical Errors) Info for 6/4/2021 (Info)
Info for 6/5/2021

Edit 1: The problem started happening as soon as I turned on my PC the second time the evening of 6/4/2021

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Blitz ?

This:

https://blitz.gg/valorant?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImpmh_L-D8QIVlAaICR1zpwsLEAAYASAAEgK_r_D_BwE

When was Blitz installed? Source?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what resources Blitz is using and to what extent.

Could be a buggy or corrupted installation.

Uninstall Blitz.

Run AV and Malware scans.

Determine if the internet speeds recover.

Yes that is indeed blitz, I use it for League, I installed it well over 3 months ago and from their official site.

Blitz usage of sys resources

I just uninstalled and run Malwarebytes but it found nothing and speeds have not recovered.

Ralston18

Titan
I would wait a day or so and cycle through a few system power offs for both your computer and other network devices.

Then, if network speeds do not recover, start taking a closer look at what your system is doing via Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Be methodical. Start watching just after initial boot. Then do some light work and browsing. Lastly apps and games as you normally do and play.

Look for what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what process, app, or service is using any given resource.

Remember you can sort the results by clicking the small up or down arrow icons that appear in some column headers.

If you find anything running that you do not recognize or understand then google accordingly. Do not just stop or otherwise disable without specifically knowing what it may be.

What make and model router do you have? Is it possible to run a temporary Ethernet cable from pc to router and test network speeds?

Solution

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019

Remember you can sort the results by clicking the small up or down arrow icons that appear in some column headers.

If you find anything running that you do not recognize or understand then google accordingly. Do not just stop or otherwise disable without specifically knowing what it may be.

What make and model router do you have? Is it possible to run a temporary Ethernet cable from pc to router and test network speeds?

I really appreciate the help, I will take your advice and do just that, I'm not exactly sure what model the router is and no I cannot run a temporary ethernet cable, that cable would have to be something like 50ft long and be unchewable by animals.

Anyway thanks again for all ur help.