[SOLVED] Help me build a computer

groovygoodwine

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
Hi guys,
My current desktop is closing in on 8 years, this old rig cannot handle the modern graphics any longer. It still runs great otherwise though!

Was hoping to get another community input gaming build

Looking to build a gaming system with a budget of 2.5k-3.5k canadian
I have (monitor, keyboard, mouse)
I'm also fine to cut money off on any stylish case, I don't need anything fancy.

Any upcoming sales I should keep an eye out for?
any input is appreciated, please list components, I'm happy to build it.

I have a personal interest in AMD / nvidia components, never had a single issue.
Looking forward to your expertise, I'm definitely out of the loop on modern hardware.

Thanks!

Solution
I have a personal interest in AMD / nvidia components
i would hold off til later in the year after the next generations of CPUs releases.
even if you don't end up choosing one of them the earlier generation chips may go down significantly in price.

GPU-wise you may want to start shopping and just grab the first good option you see.
there are still serious shortages for all of the latest generation high-end cards and they are difficult to find at or near MSRP.
scalpers are charging exorbitant prices for most of those that are available.

i grabbed an RX 6700 XT that was available earlier this year and just used that until a much better RTX 30 series became available.
stylish case
a shopping list created over the last ~18...
I have a personal interest in AMD / nvidia components
i would hold off til later in the year after the next generations of CPUs releases.
even if you don't end up choosing one of them the earlier generation chips may go down significantly in price.

GPU-wise you may want to start shopping and just grab the first good option you see.
there are still serious shortages for all of the latest generation high-end cards and they are difficult to find at or near MSRP.

i grabbed an RX 6700 XT that was available earlier this year and just used that until a much better RTX 30 series became available.
stylish case
a shopping list created over the last ~18 months or so of mid to large ATX cases,
most better looking with better than average cooling options available: Newegg Cases

the best option i've seen in a while though is the be quiet! Silent Base 802.

Reactions: groovygoodwine
Solution

groovygoodwine

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013

a shopping list created over the last ~18 months or so of mid to large ATX cases,
most better looking with better than average cooling options available: Newegg Cases

the best option i've seen in a while though is the be quiet! Silent Base 802.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi guys,
My current desktop is closing in on 8 years, this old rig cannot handle the modern graphics any longer. It still runs great otherwise though!

Was hoping to get another community input gaming build

Looking to build a gaming system with a budget of 2.5k-3.5k canadian
I have (monitor, keyboard, mouse)
I'm also fine to cut money off on any stylish case, I don't need anything fancy.

Any upcoming sales I should keep an eye out for?
any input is appreciated, please list components, I'm happy to build it.

I have a personal interest in AMD / nvidia components, never had a single issue.
Looking forward to your expertise, I'm definitely out of the loop on modern hardware.

Thanks!
Intel:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $498.50 @ Vuugo
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler |-
Motherboard | MSI MAG Z590 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $289.99 @ Amazon Canada
Memory | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $254.99 @ Memory Express
Storage | Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $529.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage | Western Digital Purple 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive | $114.40 @ Vuugo
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING X Video Card | $1079.99 @ Amazon Canada
Case | Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case | $119.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $134.50 @ Vuugo
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $3022.35
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-30 21:37 EDT-0400 |

AMD:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | $499.98 @ Best Buy Canada
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler |-
Motherboard | Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard | $429.99 @ Canada Computers
Memory | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $254.99 @ Memory Express
Storage | Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $529.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage | Western Digital Purple 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive | $114.40 @ Vuugo
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING X Video Card | $1079.99 @ Amazon Canada
Case | Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case | $119.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $134.50 @ Vuugo
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $3163.83
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-30 21:36 EDT-0400 |