Question Help me choose a combo for 5600

MrDominik

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Hi, plan is to uprgrade my PC with 5600 or 5600x. PC will be used for playing cpu heavy games like csgo and valorant on 1080p.
I have a hard time choosing a motherboard and cpu cooler. I got 2 options, 1st option asus tuf b550 plus + scythe fuma (240$) and the 2nd option Asrock b550m pro + Arctic esports duo (163$).
So few questions:
  1. Is it worth getting 5600x if the difference in price is 30$ over the non x?
  2. What is the downside of the metioned asrock motherboard over the asus one (all I really care is performance and audio, the cpu will not be OC-ed)
  3. Can the 1st option get better cooling and therefore better ingame performance?

The 5600x will have a lower operating voltage and boost higher.
The cooler you can keep the processor the higher and longer it can boost.
The Asus board has much better power delivery and VRM cooling.

Are those your only options?
One is upper mid range board and high end cooler. Other is low end board and low end cooler.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The 5600x will have a lower operating voltage and boost higher.
The cooler you can keep the processor the higher and longer it can boost.
The Asus board has much better power delivery and VRM cooling.

Are those your only options?
One is upper mid range board and high end cooler. Other is low end board and low end cooler.

I wouldn't say the different for the motherboard is worth the extra money, first the Asrock B550 M Pro actually has a pretty beffy VRM heatsink and also the motherboard will run the 5600X easily with no need for fancy expensive motherboards. The AMD CPUs don't overclock very well, which means all that extra money you are throwing, is not really helping anything.

Some of the guides I’ve seen don’t seem to show that overclocking makes a huge difference on the 5600x

It’s totally up to the op of course but if you are only talking a couple percentage points, you can spend a lot of extra money on the motherboard, cooling and psu, to the point they should have bought a higher end cpu to begin with imo.

Some of the guides I’ve seen don’t seem to show that overclocking makes a huge difference on the 5600x

It’s totally up to the op of course but if you are only talking a couple percentage points, you can spend a lot of extra money on the motherboard, cooling and psu, to the point they should have bought a higher end cpu to begin with imo.

Overclocking in the "Normal Meaning" does not work well with most Ryzen CPUs.
You have to find what each CPU "LIKES"
My R5 3600 ( an exception)does 4.4 all core boost@ 1.28v. Not overclocked much per se. But the reduced voltage from Stock PBO and and a 200mhz boost overide gives me quite a bit over Stock performance using a 212 EVO.

My 5600X was a whole different beast.
No amount of overclocking was stable.
BUT A painstaking test ,reboot,test, reboot,test,reboot .........................................................................................! process I tuned in core optimizer and now get 4.65ghz boost for 1-4 core boost and 4.5ghz for 5-6 core boost. Cooled with a Pure Rock 2.
At lower voltage and temps than stock PBO.
They are like nvidia video cards. The cooler you can keep them and the lower the voltage(which reduces heat) the higher they BOOST.
So it is not technically overclocking , but it is is getting more performance out of it.
My lowly 5600x matches a stock 5800x or 12600 in multi core tests and almost matches a 11700KF and 5800x in single thread. Within margin of error scores.
And this is overclocking so your results may and probably will vary.:geek:

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
Hi, plan is to uprgrade my PC with 5600 or 5600x. PC will be used for playing cpu heavy games like csgo and valorant on 1080p.
I have a hard time choosing a motherboard and cpu cooler. I got 2 options, 1st option asus tuf b550 plus + scythe fuma (240$) and the 2nd option Asrock b550m pro + Arctic esports duo (163$).
So few questions:
  1. Is it worth getting 5600x if the difference in price is 30$ over the non x?
  2. What is the downside of the metioned asrock motherboard over the asus one (all I really care is performance and audio, the cpu will not be OC-ed)
  3. Can the 1st option get better cooling and therefore better ingame performance?

1. Absolutely not.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifI9nnmW5sg

2. The tuff B550 plus is a better build board, VRM wise, and connectivity wise.

3. The R5 5600/5600x doesn't need an expensive cooler. Something like a thermalright assassin, deepcool AK400, or Vetroo V5 would be plenty. I am using the cheap Vetroo V5, on my 5800x, without issue.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NsFuNqINww&t=898s

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can't really compare power phases by just 6+2 vs 8+2. If the 6+2 is running 90A VRM's and the 8+2 is running 60A VRM's, that's a significant difference. Also the 8+2 could easily be in reality a 4+2 using a doubler on the high side.

PBO doesn't do anything more than change power limits. As is, the 5600/x barely manage to reach 65w when pushed, so PBO effectively does nothing by itself. The 200MHz can help, but doesn't use up That much additional power. PBO is pretty much only useful on the 5600/x if manually setting clock speeds, or through something like Ryzen Master/Curve Optimizer and forcing more cores to hit higher boosts for longer. And that's going to rely on temps, loads and voltages. The 5600/x happen to run lower temps, lower voltages on less cores, so benefit much more from PBO than a 5800x or 5900x do.

The Arctic esports duo, Deepcool AK400, Hyper212, Noctua U12S, Vetroo V5 or even the Scythe Fuma2 are intrinsically the same cooler for a stock 65w Ryzen. They all perform so similarly, there's no inherent difference. It's Only when the output wattage starts hitting @ 100w+ with PBO+ CO + 200 MHz bump that the differences become apparent with the considerably higher wattage capacities of the Arctic and Scythe maintaining a lower temp curve. Their effective efficiency doesn't lower as much as the lower capacity coolers does.

TRENDING THREADS