[SOLVED] help me pick one

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I have both, but will only need to keep one as i transition to my newer box of goodies...
Corsair CX450 M or an Antec Earthwatts EA500D green. Both lightly used.
Not an overclocker. Im used to an old lga775 with no OC possiblilities. Im sure once i clone my stuff to an SSD it will be more than i need for what i do...
GA z77DS3H 16GB of memory in the new to me box. I5 3570 is in it, the guy who built/owned/used it died 6 mos ago @ 93 YO. No Vid card, he used the onboard video and audio. I will be moving my pci sound card to the new box and adding a Video card that i can use with either XP or W10 as i plan to run both.

Last edited:
Solution
The Antec has a green case and is labeled EA500D Green. The lasbel i can see(it is installed in a case) is not colored green.
The Corsair CX450M, also installed in a case is painted brown and the label i can see is grey with brown lettering for the model number. Would pictures help?
The antec will be group regulated regardless of the color, but I believe the grey non-d version is a s12II rebrand and the green D version is built by delta. Both are group regulated with the green "D" version having awful ripple performance, nearly 100mv.

Since the corsair is the newer cxm variety, it is double forward with dc-dc on the minor rails, a MUCH better unit over the antec EA500D.

You can post pictures if you want full confirmation...

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
The cx450m is the better unit(if it's a grey label). They're both double forward topology, but the cx-m uses dc-dc for the minor rails rather then the group regulation on the antec. If the corsair has a green label rather then a grey label, then I'd peg the antec as the better unit.
The Antec has a green case and is labeled EA500D Green. The lasbel i can see(it is installed in a case) is not colored green.
The Corsair CX450M, also installed in a case is painted brown and the label i can see is grey with brown lettering for the model number. Would pictures help?

The antec will be group regulated regardless of the color, but I believe the grey non-d version is a s12II rebrand and the green D version is built by delta. Both are group regulated with the green "D" version having awful ripple performance, nearly 100mv.

Since the corsair is the newer cxm variety, it is double forward with dc-dc on the minor rails, a MUCH better unit over the antec EA500D.

You can post pictures if you want full confirmation if it is indeed the correct model as there should be no brown. It should look like this:
CP-9020101-NA-CX450M_02.png

Reactions: Wilcal
Solution