HELP ME! please. "reboot and select proper boot device"

Raksha77

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
i recently installed win 7 on a brand new 120gb ssd. it was previuosly on a 60gb ssd which has now been wiped and reformatted. i can only load into windows if i press f8 at start up to choose a boot device(120gb ssd). if i leave it to load up as normal i will encounter the "reboot and select proper boot device" message. i know i need to go into setup and change the boot order BUT . . . the "reboot and select proper boot device" message comes up BEFORE it lets me get into the setup to change the order. so i believe its still trying to load from my previous os drive (60gb ssd) but without being able to access the bios im not sure how i can fix this? any ideas you wonderful people of the internet?

Solution
Welcome to Tom'sHardware, Raksha77!

Since you state using 2 ssd's I'm going to assume the issue you've detailed is on a desktop amchine, correct? If so please connect the 120GB SSD to the first SATA port on you motherboard and have the 60GB disconnected. You should be able to get into the UEFI(BIOS) hitting the "DEL" key several times as soon as you hit the power button. Select primary boot device and boot up into Windows.

Once done, shut down, reconnect the 60GB SSD and see if the issue persists.

May we know your full systems specs just so you're hitting the right key on your keyboard to get into BIOS?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to Tom'sHardware, Raksha77!

Since you state using 2 ssd's I'm going to assume the issue you've detailed is on a desktop amchine, correct? If so please connect the 120GB SSD to the first SATA port on you motherboard and have the 60GB disconnected. You should be able to get into the UEFI(BIOS) hitting the "DEL" key several times as soon as you hit the power button. Select primary boot device and boot up into Windows.

Once done, shut down, reconnect the 60GB SSD and see if the issue persists.

May we know your full systems specs just so you're hitting the right key on your keyboard to get into BIOS?

Solution