Jun 13, 2019
Guys, I am stuck in a problem. I have a 8 years old pc with
motherboard foxconn-g41mxe,
having processor Intel pentium dual core cpu 5500 at 2.80ghz
And a 1gb ddr3 ram.
Now I want to upgrade my memory to atleast 4gb. Anything above it will also be fine.
Now I am not able to choose the specifications of my new ram that is should buy.
Currently my 1gb ram is a samsung 1gb ddr3 1066 pc3-8500 unbuffered non ecc.
By downloading the manual of my motherboard I found that my motherboard supports upto 8gb of memory with supported frequencies(1333,1066,800mhz) and speeds(pc3-8500,pc3-10600,pc3-6400).
Now I have these questions -
  1. If i buy a 1333mhz pc3-10600 ram, will I have to overclock to get it working(I don't want to do so...)
  2. Is it necessary for me to buy a unbuffered non ecc memory?
  3. I came to know that my motherboard has a dual channel ddr3-1066/800mhz architecture. What does it exactly mean?

I want to add a point that ram is a 240pin sdram of dimm type.
It would Be very kind of you if you could provide me link to some compatible rams to buy online.

Thanks in advance.

1. Not exactly overclock it but getting BIOS to know you have RAM of that frequency. Most of times, resetting CMOS would do the trick, if not, there must be setting in BIOS for that.
  2. Yes
  3. If you install two identical RAM modules in right slots it should run in dual channel mode, essentially doubling the throughput. That doesn't double it's performance but can help a lot.

Jun 13, 2019
  1. Not exactly overclock it but getting BIOS to know you have RAM of that frequency. Most of times, resetting CMOS would do the trick, if not, there must be setting in BIOS for that.
  2. Yes
  3. If you install two identical RAM modules in right slots it should run in dual channel mode, essentially doubling the throughput. That doesn't double it's performance but can help a lot.
Thanks for this help!
BTW 1 more question. If I decide to purchase a 4gb ram then should I do it as 1x4gb module or as 2x4gb modules? Will both ways work? And will they have same performance?
Thanks again for your valuable help!