help me understand...

shaun973

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I know that intel and athlon run at different speeds and that some people like/dislike them both for different reasons. But I was reading the sticky of which cpu to buy and it clams that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 is the best, yet I noticed that it is only a 2.0Ghz. So my question is isnt 2.0Ghz rather old/outdated. I understand that they can be overclocked (I dont know how to do any of this) but I would still think that at the least they would be suggesting would be a 3.0ghz. I'm looking to build a new pc and I really need some help picking out a cpu. Any information would really be appreciated, Thanks.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Shaun973: The simple truth is Intel Chips are the very very best out there. Clock speed is t3h most important thing when determining a cpu's speed. In fact, AMD is so slow I use a FX-60 in my abacus, and even then all it can do is 20fps max. Benchmark Manufacturers have conspired to downplay Intel's absolute awesomeness by cleverly placing the decimal point one place upwards of the benchmarks using AMD's processors. So when you see Intel's results being slightly worse than AMD's, you're being lied to. In fact, it means Intel is nearly 10 times better than AMD. Careful though. AMD have ninjas. See that sharikou dude? *Nods* No one can be trusted.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
quit lying shinigamiX. And Here a fact to you shinigamix. I run both Amd and Intel. I have two Intel laptops and one amd desktop.

The fact is ghz is not everything. It not a standard to show speed anymore. Intel dose have good chips but it the newer chips. But Stuff like amd 64 3800 is a good chip. There great for games and other programs.

Let me put it this way. Ok Amd like a V6 (lower ghz) with 300hp. But has good gas milage (Use Less power)

Intel is like a V8 (Higher ghz) but is a gas Hog at only 280hp (gas Hog)

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Shaun973: The simple truth is Intel Chips are the very very best out there. Clock speed is t3h most important thing when determining a cpu's speed. In fact, AMD is so slow I use a FX-60 in my abacus, and even then all it can do is 20fps max. Benchmark Manufacturers have conspired to downplay Intel's absolute awesomeness by cleverly placing the decimal point one place upwards of the benchmarks using AMD's processors. So when you see Intel's results being slightly worse than AMD's, you're being lied to. In fact, it means Intel is nearly 10 times better than AMD. Careful though. AMD have ninjas. See that sharikou dude? *Nods* No one can be trusted.

Now that right there is one hell of a way to sum it all up

Don't be a wanker...this reply is just ridiculous. Shaun973 seems to have wanted a real answer not some smart a$$ comments from an Intel fanboy.

I know that intel and athlon run at different speeds and that some people like/dislike them both for different reasons. But I was reading the sticky of which cpu to buy and it clams that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 is the best, yet I noticed that it is only a 2.0Ghz. So my question is isnt 2.0Ghz rather old/outdated. I understand that they can be overclocked (I dont know how to do any of this) but I would still think that at the least they would be suggesting would be a 3.0ghz. I'm looking to build a new pc and I really need some help picking out a cpu. Any information would really be appreciated, Thanks.

Processor speed isn't as important as it used to be. A 2GHz proc is surely fast enough to run most applications at an acceptable rate. Consider this, most business machines today, desktops and laptops, are usually right around the 2GHz mark, and those are Intel machines. My company issue laptop is 1.73GHz, the desktops are only 2.4.

IMO, get an AMD proc that is at least 2.2GHz or an Intel proc that is at least 3GHz. And the fact will be, you won't notice the 800MHz clock difference between them. As AlotSammeek posted:
Let me put it this way. Ok Amd like a V6 (lower ghz) with 300hp. But has good gas milage (Use Less power)
Intel is like a V8 (Higher ghz) but is a gas Hog at only 280hp (gas Hog)

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Dude what are you smoking?

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
What chaps my ass the most is when a noob is coming to the forum for help gets a bunch of bs bias crap..Help the man!! Im still learning about this technolgy stuff and it kills me to look through this jungle of wasted replys and threads...FU$K OFF Punks!!

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Dude what are you smoking?

i'm cracking up. what are YOU smoking? he's not for real... LOL! I quit the chronic a long time ago! :lol:

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
What chaps my ass the most is when a noob is coming to the forum for help gets a bunch of bs bias crap..Help the man!! Im still learning about this technolgy stuff and it kills me to look through this jungle of wasted replys and threads...FU$K OFF Punks!!
Yeah exactly go and f**k your self you worthless spammers!

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I don't think there is a problem with jokes but at least we should try to answer his question as well.

Don't worry about the specifications that are given by manufacturers much of it is marketing hype and has little to do with ABSOLUTE performance against competitors. For example going back to some older video cards you could get a MX440 with 256mb of ram I think but it did not perform as well as a 9800pro with 128mb of ram... so as you can see numbers don't always mean what they want you to believe.

Do some more searching and compare benchmarks, tests which determine how well the processors actually work under stress.

manno

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

You son of a bee-sting! I had a mouth full of edamame I spit up all over my monitor cause I laughed so hard. Kudo's an thanks for the laugh.

-manno