Question [HELP] Monitor works with android box and PVR, but not with laptop or PC. Any ideas?

Sep 6, 2019
Good Day All.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to solve my issue:

I have a Samsung S23C350 Monitor. The monitor works with my cable/satelite tv box, and it works with my Mygica Android tv box.

I lent the monitor (which was working on all my devices) to my brother who used it with his 2011 Macbook Pro Laptop . One day he said it stopped working.

The issue I have is that it also does not get picked up by either my Windows 10 Desktop PC, nor my Ubuntu 19.04 laptop.

I've tried at least 5 different cables, from a cheap HDMI cable, an expensive HDMI cable... a DVI to HDMI Cable, a VGA Cable, HDMI to VGA... You name it.

I can't figure out why my dekstop or laptop will NOT pick up this monitor at all.

I've downloaded the software for the monitor from Samsung, and installed the drivers on my Windows PC, but it does absolutely nothing... I thought updating the firmware would work, but it doesn't evenn pick up the monitor.

I'm using a GTX 660 Ti GPU, if that helps.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi Elz_D.Migz,

What happens when you try to plug in your PC? Does the screen initially turn on with a logo or other so that you know the monitor works? (While plugged in to your PC or Laptop. I know you said it works with the other TV boxes) You have obviously set the monitor to the same output right? DVI, HDMI etc.

Do you have onboard video? Tried plugging the monitor into it? (If so & it works, disable it in the Bios, even though most newer mobo's auto-default to using add-in PGU's like your 660.)

You tried plugging your PC/Laptop into another monitor and are sure they both work and a signal is coming out? Lower the screen res to 1280x1024.

Try something for me:

Enter the monitors menu/OSD and reset it. (Usually at the bottom of the monitor or on the back depending on the model) Then set the source to either HDMI, DVI or VGA depending on the cable you have. Save & exit. (Or just exit to if there is no save option)
Pull out the power cable on the monitor. Wait 1 min.
While unplugged triple check that the HDMI or DVI cable is firmly plugged into both the PC and the back of the monitor. Don't use an adapter, so DVI to DVI and the same for HDMI.
Plug in the power cable and turn on the monitor, then turn on the PC.

Anything?

Update: Saw this after looking at connections issues for your particular monitor. I know it's generic info, but have you tried this? (It's the reset I talked about above)
https://www.samsung.com/in/support/computing/why-do-we-reset-samsung-monitors-to-factory-settings/

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019
Hi Mrgr74,

When I plug it into my pc nothing actually happens. It doesn't change it's source, I select the source myself on the monitor but nothing actually displays.

My laptop and pc work with both my main samsung monitor, as well as my tv.

I am not sure how to reboot or reset my monitor. I've looked up, and ran into that same page. My monitor menu ONLY lets me select the source: AV or PC. I've tried both settings.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi Mrgr74,

When I plug it into my pc nothing actually happens. It doesn't change it's source, I select the source myself on the monitor but nothing actually displays.

My laptop and pc work with both my main samsung monitor, as well as my tv.

I am not sure how to reboot or reset my monitor. I've looked up, and ran into that same page. My monitor menu ONLY lets me select the source: AV or PC. I've tried both settings.

Hmm.. Have you tried the monitor on a different PC (Not your brothers lol) or on a game console (Not the TV boxes)

Sep 6, 2019
Hmm.. Have you tried the monitor on a different PC (Not your brothers lol) or on a game console (Not the TV boxes)
I have tried it on a few different PCs. I don't understand why it wouldn't work. I don't have any gaming consoles atm tbh.

I managed to get the DVI Working on my laptop, which has Ubuntu, but it won't register 1080p, and the HDMI doesn't work.

Like I said only our satellite tv box, and my android box registers the HDMI and they work perfectly. It seems to be with any form of PC that there's an issue.