Help needed with NTVDM error message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have recently tried to install 2 unconnected programs and get an error
message which is linked to the following on the MS Web site.
Problem is i have no administrator and i need to run these programs!!!

Any help really appreciated

Kev
Error Message:
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications.

Explanation:
There is a problem with either CONFIG.NT or AUTOEXEC.NT. When NTVDM starts
up, it edits these files to meet the requirements of MS-DOS and 16-bit
Windows. If you get this message, NTVDM was not able to make all the edits
necessary to meet all of those requirements.

User Action:
Contact your system administrator.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Subsea.UK" <rubbishsubsea.uk@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:eVpzruMqFHA.2628@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I have recently tried to install 2 unconnected programs and get an error
> message which is linked to the following on the MS Web site.
> Problem is i have no administrator and i need to run these programs!!!
>
> Any help really appreciated
>
> Kev
> Error Message:
> The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> applications.
>
> Explanation:
> There is a problem with either CONFIG.NT or AUTOEXEC.NT. When NTVDM starts
> up, it edits these files to meet the requirements of MS-DOS and 16-bit
> Windows. If you get this message, NTVDM was not able to make all the edits
> necessary to meet all of those requirements.
>
> User Action:
> Contact your system administrator.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Doug, appologies for replying to you first and not the group....wrong
button :)

I have read the item but it does not help in resolving the issue any further
ideas?
Kev

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Subsea.UK" <rubbishsubsea.uk@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have recently tried to install 2 unconnected programs and get an error
> message which is linked to the following on the MS Web site.
> Problem is i have no administrator and i need to run these programs!!!
>
> Any help really appreciated
>
> Kev
> Error Message:
> The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> applications.
>
> Explanation:
> There is a problem with either CONFIG.NT or AUTOEXEC.NT. When NTVDM starts
> up, it edits these files to meet the requirements of MS-DOS and 16-bit
> Windows. If you get this message, NTVDM was not able to make all the edits
> necessary to meet all of those requirements.
>
> User Action:
> Contact your system administrator.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Please post the contents of your AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT files. They are located in the Windows\System32 folder. Additionally, see the following KB Article for more troubleshooting information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314106/
Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP

"Subsea.UK" <rubbishsubsea.uk@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:OdotrUUqFHA.1040@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Doug, appologies for replying to you first and not the group....wrong
> button :)
>
> I have read the item but it does not help in resolving the issue any further
> ideas?
> Kev
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Subsea.UK" <rubbishsubsea.uk@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I have recently tried to install 2 unconnected programs and get an error
>> message which is linked to the following on the MS Web site.
>> Problem is i have no administrator and i need to run these programs!!!
>>
>> Any help really appreciated
>>
>> Kev
>> Error Message:
>> The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
>> applications.
>>
>> Explanation:
>> There is a problem with either CONFIG.NT or AUTOEXEC.NT. When NTVDM starts
>> up, it edits these files to meet the requirements of MS-DOS and 16-bit
>> Windows. If you get this message, NTVDM was not able to make all the edits
>> necessary to meet all of those requirements.
>>
>> User Action:
>> Contact your system administrator.

frodo

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

check and see if the files CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT are present in
\windows\system32; they may be marked as hidden/system, make sure you
have tools | folder options | view | show system and hidden files enabled.
These 2 files should be there.

If you can't find them there, look in \windows\repair, there should be a
backup copy there. COPY these two files to \windows\system32.

For some reason, these two files are often deleted from system32 (by
malware usually) , and that will prevent "dos" programs from working.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

THANKS GUYS

Turns out the NT files were infact missing and expanding them from the XP CD
did the trick!!
After binning Norton AntiVirus and Firewall and investing in NOD32 and
ZoneAlarm Pro i found 6 virus on the PC!!!

Thanks again for the help

Rgds
Kev