[SOLVED] Help needed with some basic home networking (photos inc.)

May 7, 2020
Hello and thanks for visiting,

I live in a one bed apartment, we have an Ethernet 'master socket' in the living room. This is where our wireless router is plugged in. There is another 'Ethernet port + phone line' socket in our bedroom.

I'd like to use the Ethernet socket in the bedroom to supply my PC with a wired connection as the WiFi in here sucks due to a couple of walls and doors.

I have done some digging and the bedroom Ethernet port isn't wired up at all. Here are some photos showing how the sockets are wired up. Looks to me like the Bedroom socket was once the master and it has been rerouted to the Living room.

Can I use the existing wiring to bring this Bedroom Ethernet port to life somehow?

Thanks for your time,

beRgy

edit: might be worth noting I'm the UK and the router is a D-Link DSL-3782.

Last edited:
Solution
Not sure about those sockets.

There are two incoming cables. Both cables have four wires. On one cable the blue/orange wires appear to be in use (telephone?) and the other cable has all four wires in use. That being, I believe, to be for the ethernet port?

Does the User Manual presented in the following link match your D-Link router?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1499011/D-Link-Dsl-3785.html?page=5#manual

If you look at the Product Setup on Page 5 you will see the required router connections.

For your plans then it all becomes:

Phone wall jack ----->[DSL Port] Router[LAN] ----Ethernet cable- --> bedroom outlet----ethernet cable ----> PC and ~~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices.

However, if you are also using...

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about those sockets.

There are two incoming cables. Both cables have four wires. On one cable the blue/orange wires appear to be in use (telephone?) and the other cable has all four wires in use. That being, I believe, to be for the ethernet port?

Does the User Manual presented in the following link match your D-Link router?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1499011/D-Link-Dsl-3785.html?page=5#manual

If you look at the Product Setup on Page 5 you will see the required router connections.

For your plans then it all becomes:

Phone wall jack ----->[DSL Port] Router[LAN] ----Ethernet cable- --> bedroom outlet----ethernet cable ----> PC and ~~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices.

However, if you are also using hardwired telephones then there is likely a device called a filter (splitter) installed somewhere.

That device takes the incoming signal from your ISP and splits the connectivity between telephone and router.

Refer to the diagram in the following link:

ttps://www.lmi.net/support/common/dsl-support/how-dsl-works/

Use the diagram as a template to map/draw out your telephone connections.

Determine the necessary punch down connections on each end - colored wire by wire. Ensure that they all match.

If the "ethernet cable" is only four wires then you would use Pins 1,2,3,6 from the closet socket to the PC

Unfortunately (full disclosure) I am not familiar with the telephone wire color codes for the UK. And as I have learned all too often such color codes are not always in place or adhered to. (E.g. that bedroom socket internals indeed very likely being a "mess".)

However: Openreach seems to have plenty of installation documentation:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Wiring-a-BT-openreach-MK3-master-socket/td-p/1682822

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/mk4btopenreachvdslsocket/

Your plan appears doable. But details matter.

Note: One option to consider is to move the router into the bedroom and use the incoming telephone line for the DSL connection there. Then just run an ordinary ethernet cable from the router to PC. Might simplify the wiring requirements.

At this juncture, I will have to defer to one of our UK members with regards to the actual wire by wire connections/punchdowns. And that splitter - could be in the master socket.

Still post any additional comments, questions, or concerns.

Someone else may have additional suggestions and/or correct some errors of omission or commission on my part. I have no problem with that.

Solution