Nov 25, 2019
Hello,

I built my first computer in late August of this year and after about a month of it working great, it has started restarting while playing games. It is just a restart with no BSOD. Sometimes I can play all day with no restarts and sometimes I will get a couple of restarts within an hour. (The issue is hard to replicate on purpose) The main games I play are Seige, Modern Warfare, Boarderlands 3, Apex, Fortnite, and Rocket League. All have had a restart except rocket league.

I have read pretty much every thread on this topic already and attempted every fix that has been suggested. Looking for anyone who may be able to provide any help. I will provide all the components of my system below and also all the fixes I have tried already.

List of PC components:
  1. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
  2. Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  3. Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard
  4. Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
  5. Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  6. EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
  7. EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  8. Seasonic Prime 1000 Titanium SSR-1000TR 1000W 80+ Titanium ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 135mm FDB Fan Power On Self Tester 12 Year Warranty Power Supply (This is the PSU I bought to replace the EVGA one above)
  9. Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans (2 packs 6 fans total)
  10. Corsair Commander Pro
  11. Asus ROG SWIFT PG279QZ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor
  12. Cable Mod Pro series cables
  13. CORSAIR CL-8930002 RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit

List of fixes I have tried:
  1. uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers
  2. replacing my PSU
  3. using the cables that came with the PSU
  4. Only having motherboard, CPU and GPU power cables plugged it (pretty much-unplugging commander pro and the lighting thing that comes with Coolermaster AIO and all front case connectors) left the case open so air flow was not an issue. AIO is connected to the motherboard so just the lighting is off on it.
  5. GPU temps never go above 58c while gaming 95% utilization per MSI afterburner (so I don't believe heat to be an issue)
  6. CPU temps never go above 50c while gaming 30-40% utilization per MSI afterburner (so I don't believe heat to be an issue)
  7. Ran MemTest86 with no errors
  8. Ran Prime 95 for approx. 30min no issues (60-65c max CPU temp)
  9. Ran Heaven for approx. 30min no issues (Same GPU temps as above)
  10. Updated BIOs to the most recent version
  11. All hardware is set to default - no CPU or GPU overclock

Things I have not tried yet:
1. complete reinstall of windows (have not done to this yet because I really don't want to have to download all my games over again due to my internet not being the fastest and all the forms I have read suggest this is a hardware issue)

Additional notes:

When my corsair fan are plugged in they with glitch every once and a while when CPU is underload.
I am new to PC building so sorry for any mistakes in describing my issue or parts.

I guess I should have just bought a prebuild but thought building my own would be fun.
Thanks for any help.

Solution
try this go into bios and reset to default save exit restart then go into windows... and try gaming...
if all good then get back into bios and enable pbo with all other settings as default... try game again... if u get restarts its pbo issue...
Are you running Prime95 with AVX? Those temps appear kinda low with AVX enabled. Try running Prime95 for longer. Looping Heaven is okay but also try the Furmark stress test at your monitor's native resolution.

Maybe try running HWiNFO64 (sensors only) and check out the 'Performance Limit Reasons' section while gaming for a bit. Hopefully you can get some valuable info before the system reboots. You can try logging HWiNFO to a file too.

It sounds like a temperature or wattage issue. Remember, there are other components on a motherboard that can get too hot. It's possible your VRs are hitting their threshold.

Nov 25, 2019
I did some testing last night with both Prime95 and Furmark and this is what I found. First I checked and believe that AVX is on with Prime95. I just downloaded the program and made no modifications to it and from what I read you need to manually turn it off in the .txt documents that come with the program and I did not see anything noting it was turned off.

I ran Furmark for multiple 1 hour runs with the GPU temperature saying steady around 56c, no issues or restarts.

I then ran Prime95 for multiple 1 hour runs with the CPU set to stock and had no issues or restarts (my rgb case fans were glitching out again). CPU temps were sitting around 60-65c.

I then did have a Prime95 run where my computer restarted with CPU set to stock. I did not have my HWiFO64 running at this time. After the PC booted back up I started another run of Prime95 hoping to replicate the issue but after about an hour there were no restarts.

Not sure if this was a good idea, but in the past, I have turned on PBO before gaming and also experienced restart issues. (I have had many restarts while gaming with the CPU set to stock as well) So I decided to turn on PBO using the ryzen master software while running Prime95 and within 30 seconds I had the exact same restart. One thing I did notice was after turning on PBO CPU temps would increase up 80c.

I opened up HWiFO64 and started watching the sensors looking for high VRM or Chipset temperatures. VRAM temps were listed at 34c and chipset listed at 50c which I don't believe is too high. I started data logging and in order to get the system to restart while data logging I would turn on PBO. I have a couple of data logs in excel while the computed restarted.

Can you please let me know if there is anything I should be looking at on the data logs in particular for clues as to why this is happening. I attached a link to a google sheet when of a data log where my computer restarted while running Prime95. I highlighted the row yellow where I turned on PBO.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p2WCihcw8kKXE6VCgP_sHu--EvzgeF7-VArjHDRsKOQ/edit?usp=sharing

My guess now is that there is something wrong with my CPU or Motherboard. (maybe both?) I want to buy a replacement part to fix the issue but would like to be certain which component is causing the problem as I don't want to buy a replacement part that will not fix the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I just want to be able to game and not have to deal with random restarts.

Thanks,

Nov 25, 2019
I removed the cpu cooler and cleaned off the old thermal paste applied new thermal paste and reinstalled the cpu cooler. I have had one restart while gaming since then so I assume that was not the issue.

As for the psu, this was my original thought based on reading other forms but I had a pretty high quality one (the evga one listed above) that I replaced with the sea sonic one listed above (a very high quality one) and this changed nothing.

G4nd4lf

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
try this go into bios and reset to default save exit restart then go into windows... and try gaming...
if all good then get back into bios and enable pbo with all other settings as default... try game again... if u get restarts its pbo issue...

Solution
Nov 25, 2019
Thanks, I will give resetting to default a try. I have little hope this will fix the problem as I have had restarts while gaming with everything set to default in the past.

If I do get another restart while gaming I am going to go ahead and order a new CPU and see if it fixes the problem. I found this thread that makes me think the CPU is the problem. https://community.amd.com/thread/241981

Nov 25, 2019
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to give it a conclusion now that the problem is solved. I replaced my 3700x with a 3900x and since then I have not had a single restart. I now know the issue to be the original processer. I am going to file an RMA claim with AMD to see if I can get my 3700x fixed.

Thanks for everyone's help!

TRENDING THREADS