Help Please,A load Bang from Pc

macky_24

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
i turned on my Pc and a load Bang came from it! i dont know much about Pc's but when i checked the back of power supply theres a switch where u can change the voltage from 230/110, mine was on 110 and when i plugged in the power lead...BANG!
The killing thing is it's or was brand new and i cant return it cos it came from America. Can someone please help me and tell me what i need to get or whatever?
Yes i know im stupid.
Specs...
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz Processor
Asus P5N73-AM Motherboard
nVidia 7050 Chipset
4GB DDR2-800 Dual Channel Memory (2x2GB)
Western Digital 500B SATA-II Hard Drive
20X DVD-RW Burner w/Lightscribe Technology
nVidia 9800GT 512MB GDDR3 Video Card
PhysX Support
DirectX 10 Support
22-in-1 Flash Media Reader
RAID 0/1/0+1/5 Capable
Integrated 10/100 LAN
4 x USB 2.0 Ports (Expandable to 8)
(1) PCI-e x16 / (1) PCI-e x1 / (2) PCI
8 Channel High Definition Audio
Clear Side Panel
580 Watt Power Supply
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

mi1ez

Splendid
where are you? I'f you've stuck 240V through a PSU with the switch on 110V then I'm afriad it's dead. and since it's your fault (over-eager!) it doesn't matter where it's from as they won't take it back.

sorry dude! hope it hasn't burnt anything else.

I'm guessing your from a country that uses 220/240 AC. If bought in USA, yes it would be set to 110/120 VAC. The Front end of a switching PSU converts the AC to DC then Back to a lower value AC at 20 to 40KHz This AC is then converted back to DC, and regulated to the set outputs of the PSU (ie +12, +5, +3.3 ect).

The problem of applying 240 with the input set to 120, you effectively doubled the first DC output which may have exceded the voltage rating of a filtering Capacitor. You also exceded the voltage ratings (and possibly the current ratings) of the input Xformer.

Costly training experience - recommend replacing the PSU. Although a good tech may be able to replace defective parts, weakened parts are harder to find.

PS. I did this with a $100 cassette recorder in nam. They had both 120 & 220 available. Suppose to be two different recepticals - Hotel used SAME receptical for both, Recorder did last for 5 min befor Xform went. Could still use on battery.

Back to K-1, spell is getting terrible

macky_24

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Yes it was 240V, I'm praying it's only the power supply i forgot to check that switch and i was told to check it. Smoke came from it to, looked like from the power supply. I am really stupid. Did you ever come across the same problem? If so what did they need to get for repair? Thanks mate

Oh, i'm from Ireland

macky_24

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Yes it was 240V, I'm praying it's only the power supply i forgot to check that switch and i was told to check it. Smoke came from it to, looked like from the power supply. I am really stupid. Did you ever come across the same problem? If so what did they need to get for repair? Thanks mate

Oh, i'm from Ireland

macky_24

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Oh, i'm from Ireland

Well, you fried the power supply. It will need to be replaced. I've never read about anyone having a power supply repaired. There may or may not be another problem. Sometimes when a psu blows it will fry other computer parts. Once you replace the psu you may or may not discover more problems.

Good Luck!

Yeah, the pop was likely a suddenly way overcharged capacitor.
It would be as expensive to repair the PSU, if it could even be repaired than to replace it. Personally, I wouldn't want in my PC even it WAS repaired. Too many parts that aren't actually fried right now, could break down later and cause more problems. Expensive problems at that.

Replace, cross your finges, pray a little, and hope you didn't fry anything else.
But I wouldn't hold my breath......good luck!

Hey, most new better quality Power Supplies are self regulating, or adjusting.
They don't have the switch on the back that you must set.
Simply plug them in, and they adjust to 220-240/110-120 volts automatically.
Perhaps this should be a definet feature on your new PSU?

macky_24

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Thanks guys. i was planning on getting a better psu and i would'nt even think about replacing the one i fried. What would be a good psu to run 2 Nvidia 9800gt graphics cards?