[SOLVED] Help plz my pc shuts down and restart

Apr 6, 2020
I dont really know much about pc but i purchased a psu fsp hydro ge 650w 80+gold and i have pc spec as:
i5 6600k @ 3.50ghz
gt x 1070 stock
15gb ram
128g ssd samsung
2tb seagate baracuda
asus b150 pro gaming mobo

i have updated my drivers tried everything i cleaned my pc but nothing changed it is happening from last 2 days my pc power goes off like vanish and than it restarts again plz help me
thanks.

Solution
I dont really know much about pc but i purchased a psu fsp hydro ge 650w 80+gold and i have pc spec as:
i5 6600k @ 3.50ghz
gt x 1070 stock
15gb ram
128g ssd samsung
2tb seagate baracuda

i have updated my drivers tried everything i cleaned my pc but nothing changed it is happening from last 2 days my pc power goes off like vanish and than it restarts again plz help me
thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What you described could be caused by a lot of things (btw thank you for putting your whole system specs).

Besides changing your PSU, what else have you tried?

1. Have you tested the temps to see if the CPU and GPU stays cold, or if they get too hot and then the PC shutdown? (You can monitor...
i5 6600k @ 3.50ghz
gt x 1070 stock
15gb ram
128g ssd samsung
2tb seagate baracuda

thanks.

What you described could be caused by a lot of things (btw thank you for putting your whole system specs).

1. Have you tested the temps to see if the CPU and GPU stays cold, or if they get too hot and then the PC shutdown? (You can monitor temps with many apps, I used hwmonitor and/or hwinfo64 - no need to install any of those, you can download the "zip" portable file from the oficial website)
  2. Have you tried to take out everything and just leave the motherboard, the CPU, 1 memory stick and the storage to see what happend?
  3. Have you tried bulding up your PC over a wood table and see if it still turns off and restart?
  4. Have you tried going into the BIOS and let the PC stay there for 20 mins and check the "monitor" tab too see if the CPU (which should be at idle doing nothing) stays at a normal temp (depending on your cooling solution and room temp, it should be between 30~40°C).
  5. When was the last time you did a full clean install of Windows?

If I were in your place, I would start by tring the PC with the bare minimum parts (CPU, motherboard, 1 RAM stick and only the boot drive) over a wood table or a cardboard piece and see if it does the same thing. If by doing this, you see no issues, I would then add (either) more RAM, or the GPU and see what happend. Then I would add the case fans, then the other drive, and soo on.

There are lots of things to try out, it would take a lot, so if you don't mind share some more info, and see if anything of the above share some light to your problem.

Cheers!

Solution
Apr 6, 2020
thanks for replying.For ur 1st question yes I also use the same software and I have monitor all the temps. the temps are fine but the other question u asked except the 5th one I have not done any of these things .its been more than a year since I did a clean install of window. for now i will do all the things u mentioned and tell u what the results will be . thanks

Reactions: RodroX
Apr 6, 2020

1. Have you tested the temps to see if the CPU and GPU stays cold, or if they get too hot and then the PC shutdown? (You can monitor temps with many apps, I used hwmonitor and/or hwinfo64 - no need to install any of those, you can download the "zip" portable file from the oficial website)
  2. Have you tried to take out everything and just leave the motherboard, the CPU, 1 memory stick and the storage to see what happend?
  3. Have you tried bulding up your PC over a wood table and see if it still turns off and restart?
  4. Have you tried going into the BIOS and let the PC stay there for 20 mins and check the "monitor" tab too see if the CPU (which should be at idle doing nothing) stays at a normal temp (depending on your cooling solution and room temp, it should be between 30~40°C).
  5. When was the last time you did a full clean install of Windows?
If I were in your place, I would start by tring the PC with the bare minimum parts (CPU, motherboard, 1 RAM stick and only the boot drive) over a wood table or a cardboard piece and see if it does the same thing. If by doing this, you see no issues, I would then add (either) more RAM, or the GPU and see what happend. Then I would add the case fans, then the other drive, and soo on.

There are lots of things to try out, it would take a lot, so if you don't mind share some more info, and see if anything of the above share some light to your problem.

Cheers!
hello. as u told me I have done all of the above things and what I found out that 1 ram stick was the problem I gues I took it out and PC was giving the display and for now it is running fine I saw a red light on motherboard .
at first it seems like it was the psu and I still have my doubts please tell me if these voltages are good. i will update you after one day if I will get any problem .
Voltage 0 4.96 Volts [0x7C] (+5V)
Voltage 1 3.33 Volts [0xD0] (+3.3V)
Voltage 2 12.29 Volts [0x80] (+12V)
Voltage 3 0.97 Volts [0x79] (VIN3)
Voltage 5 0.82 Volts [0x33] (VCORE)
Voltage 6 1.01 Volts [0x7E] (VIN6)
Voltage 7 1.92 Volts [0x78] (VIN7)

bro it has been like 45 minutes and the PC is now again running fine . i cant figure out the problem man ..

The PSU you listed it should be oK, yeah 5 years is a considerable amount of time but I have had some PSU for 10 years, that are still runing if I plug them in.

Sorry to re-ask you again but, Have you tried building the PC over a wood table leave it runing for one hour or two, playing youtube video, or gaming. leaving the PC "Case" out of the equation?

Apr 6, 2020
The PSU you listed it should be oK, yeah 5 years is a considerable amount of time but I have had some PSU for 10 years, that are still runing if I plug them in.

Sorry to re-ask you again but, Have you tried building the PC over a wood table leave it runing for one hour or two, playing youtube video, or gaming. leaving the PC "Case" out of the equation?
I didnt had the wooden table but i have pu a 4inch thermopol beneath my pc yeah i have done watched videos but sometimes the same thing happens and sometimes it runs fine. And the psu is just 1 year old and it has 5 years warrenty

I didnt had the wooden table but i have pu a 4inch thermopol beneath my pc yeah i have done watched videos but sometimes the same thing happens and sometimes it runs fine. And the psu is just 1 year old and it has 5 years warrenty

Oh lol my bad, youre right, I read 5 years and I automatically thought 5 years old.

I told you about building your PC over a wood table or cradboard cause of the just in case theres a random shortcut. Its always a good idea to test out the PC outside the Case, when theres this wierd random restarts.

But it could as well be the PSU, or the motherboard or the CPU, or any of the other RAM sticks.

Are you using the XMP profile enable in the BIOS?, if you re you could just disable it and test with it OFF.

Apr 6, 2020
No need to sorry it happens :)
Yes i have a 4 inch cardboard and then i had put my pc on it
The xmp profile is disabled
For now it is running good it has bern likr an hour or so but i dont know how long will it last but one change i made is i conencted my pc direct to the switch instead of going thtorugh the stabilizer .

Apr 6, 2020
No need to sorry it happens :)
Yes i have a 4 inch cardboard and then i had put my pc on it
The xmp profile is disabled
For now it is running good it has bern likr an hour or so but i dont know how long will it last but one change i made is i conencted my pc direct to the switch instead of going thtorugh the stabilizer .
Last night i played like 3 hours straight and the pc was working perfectly fine which indicates that psu is ok what i want to do now is take out my motherboard and everything from the case and asseble it on a cardboard but without the case so could u tell me how to do that i think there is a problem with power switch on the casing.

Apr 6, 2020
The other thing i notice is that when i am in bios leavimg the pc idle the core cpu voltage is 1.168v and when i move my mouse it drops to 1.152v is this a problem ? And sometimes i am not able to get into thw bios and pc restarts or continuew to boot up the window . Its all so complicated i hope u understand what i am saying. Sorry if my english is not very good

IF you are not experienced on bulding PC I would not try this at all.
You need some experience to deal with stuff, is not hard but is better to know what youre doing.
Try to get someone that knows about PC, about bulding them, to diagnose them and even better if he/she have some background tech knowladge.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO ALL THIS IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE and NO PREVIUS EXPERIENCED.

The thing about bulding the PC over a cardboard is that you need a small screwdriver to shorcut the power pins on the motherboard, that way you just "pinch" the two pins for 1 second and the PC will start, as if you press the power button in the front of ypur case.

If this is your motherboard (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...5.1437646766.1586351108-1987997705.1585403480) You can find the motherboard layout on page 10 (or 1-2) and the system power conector detail on page 32 (or 1-24) where you can find the pins labeled as pwr_sw (PWRBTN# / GND).

Once again, if youre PC is now working find I would not try any of this, if you do do it at your own risk (95% of the risk is breaking something, 5% of the risk is hurting yourself if you do not know how to deal with tools and electronic).

Apr 6, 2020
IF you are not experienced on bulding PC I would not try this at all.
You need some experience to deal with stuff, is not hard but is better to know what youre doing.
Try to get someone that knows about PC, about bulding them, to diagnose them and even better if he/she have some background tech knowladge.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO ALL THIS IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE and NO PREVIUS EXPERIENCED.

The thing about bulding the PC over a cardboard is that you need a small screwdriver to shorcut the power pins on the motherboard, that way you just "pinch" the two pins for 1 second and the PC will start, as if you press the power button in the front of ypur case.

If this is your motherboard (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...5.1437646766.1586351108-1987997705.1585403480) You can find the motherboard layout on page 10 (or 1-2) and the system power conector detail on page 32 (or 1-24) where you can find the pins labeled as pwr_sw (PWRBTN# / GND).

Once again, if youre PC is now working find I would not try any of this, if you do do it at your own risk (95% of the risk is breaking something, 5% of the risk is hurting yourself if you do not know how to deal with tools and electronic).
I did the same watching videos and reading the manuel and it was a success but i did not got the display so i am now putting it back to ita original place. Lets see what happens

Apr 6, 2020
now i have put my pc again in the case the power on off button was not the problem and now I am having display. would u recommend me to install a new os ?

Apr 8, 2020
if using Windows 10, when you in windows you can hold down the shift key and select restart. it will bring up a menu from this menu you can reboot into the bios.

normally with random reboots or issues while in windows, event viewer should help a little.
i usually reinstall windows every new build or once a year, personal machine and work machine, regardless if there are issues are not.

Apr 6, 2020
Guys this might seem funny but yesterdaay night thw pc was working fine for 3 straight hours and today i tried the whole day but it didnt remain on but tonight it is again working good no problems. What might be the problem is there any thordparty aoftware or aome kind of malware ?

Apr 6, 2020
hey guys. i have now changed my power plan to high performance mode and the second thing I did was took out the ram module so now I have 8 GB ram left but the thing is the computer is running pretty fine but still sometime like 2 or 3 times a day it restarts. but otherwise now I am able to do my work and computer is pretty stable .. i still have doubts that my ram was the problem .

Apr 6, 2020
hey guys i have got to the problem finally as I said before that the ram was the issue infact it was the motherboard slot I tried setting A2 and b2 but computer won't boot up and then I tried A1 and b1 still the same problem now I am using B1 and B2 and the computer is working perfectly fine. so the question is is this a problem that I am not taking advantage of dual channel memory or will it harm my PC ?
and it might also be my cpu cooler which is not installed properly and might be my cpu is not installed properly into the socket please help what should I do now.. thanks

Apr 6, 2020
i tried A1 and b1 it was not giving display just PC was on and then I tried a2 and b2 same thing . than I did a1 and a2 the same thing happened and then i did b1 and b2 and it is working . tell one thing is this harmful for my PC i have same ram and same size corsair value select 2133mhz 8gb 2x .. plz hellp

i tried A1 and b1 it was not giving display just PC was on and then I tried a2 and b2 same thing . than I did a1 and a2 the same thing happened and then i did b1 and b2 and it is working . tell one thing is this harmful for my PC i have same ram and same size corsair value select 2133mhz 8gb 2x .. plz hellp

No, is not harmful for your PC, the only problem is that using slots b1 and b2 wont enable dual channel. For dual channel your motherboard manual (pag 18: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...190.84911015.1587141018-1987997705.1585403480) recommends slots A2/B2 for better compatibility, but if that si not workin, Im guessing it is what it is.

I still don't get how (according to your OP) do you get your 15GB of RAM?, whats your setup like?, this sounds like an error?

Perhaps is 16GB, so you have 4x4GB DDR4? If this is the case, have you tried every single combination of RAM in the A2/B2 recommended slots?