Help: Power Supply for Dell Studio Slim Desktop and GeForce 9600 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffsilvermatrix

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Hey,

I got a Dell Studio Desktop Slim 540s and then bought a low-profile graphics card, Galaxy GeForce 9600GT http://www.galaxytech.com/Product_Details.asp?id=192&class1=1&class2= to supplement it.

However, the power supply that comes with Dell's slim tower is only 250W and I need at least 400W to run the computer and the graphics card. Anyone knows a good power supply that would fit Dell's awkward slim tower chasis and run the graphics card as well?

Thanks!

They are custom PSU's. A Family friend has one go out on an older Dell Slim. We ended up installing a standard PSU and running the wires through the back of the case. Now it has an external power supply, haha.

JKat

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
hmmm...i seem to remember reading quite a few complaints about TigerDirect...many people say to stay away from them...FAR away...lol

lamprey_

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
If you have a Korean or Japanese friend, the have TFX 450W PSU.

In Korea: GT-450LP
In Japan: TFX450AV

UK sells a 400W by EZCool
Australia sells a 350W

In North America, the best I can found is 300W.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

Would this fit in a Dell Vostro 200 Slim? The case looks to be the same as the studio slim.
Thanks in advance!

lamprey_

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

Vostro Slim uses TFX PSU form factor. It should work.

donesame

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

It makes sense.
Anyone else confirm easonic 300W will handle 9600 GT?
And what do you mean by power adapter?
Thank you.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I have upgraded my Dell Vostro 200 slim with the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151070 (slim power supply)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187060 (slim 9600 gt video card)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200106 (adaptor needed)

I can confirm that these do work just fine, but the video card was getting too hot for my comfort, so I cut a hole in the side of my case near the video card and installed (rigged) the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835168002 (fan)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201009 (adaptor needed)

I installed it so that the fan was blowing air out of the case. I also drilled some vent holes in the case so that the fan would also bring in more fresh air. I placed the vent holes so that the fresh air would flow around the video card to get to the exhaust fan that I added as mentioned. This worked like a charm. I can provide pictures of the rigged fan installation if anyone wants.

Peace and Good Luck!

P.S. I did this to play Left 4 Dead, and it plays great.

donesame

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks alot viperbyte,

If you already have pictures I would appreciate to share them with us. So I know exactly what I should do. I really would like to get over this slim problem. Thanks again.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

I'll snap some tonight (I'll try to remember). By the way I didn't use the driver on the cd that came with the card. I went to the Sparkle website and downloaded the driver there. If you get the same card as I did (the one I linked to on newegg.com) the lastest drivers are here:

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/driver_detail.asp?id=77&m_id=6

It looks like I need to update mine to the latest version.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
That is just the way it is. That is why one should always shop around. In my opinion the cheaper sparkle card is better because it has an HDMI port where the other one has a s-video port. Other than that, the specs look the same. Those pics are coming soon.

P.S. I guess the reputation of the brand can make a difference, but I don't know much about either brands' reputation.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Here is the side shot:

IMG_4256.jpg

Here is a close up (looks like one of my vent screens has popped out):

IMG_4257.jpg

Here you can see the vent holes that I drilled in the covers for the three empty card slots:

IMG_4258.jpg

Here are a couple of shots with the side cover off:

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

Here is a shot og the video card (for the heck of it):

IMG_4261.jpg

Last picture is a shot of the dust screens from the inside (Avoid drilling those two vent holes too low like I did. I got lucky that it still closed properly):

IMG_4264.jpg

Once you cut the square hole in the black side cover, you can trace the hole pattern onto the silver metal cross piece which is what you actually mount the fan to. Then cut the hole in that cross piece (not square see below). I used a dremel. Instead of a square hole like on the black side cover, I chamfered the corners so that you can drill holes in each corner for the screws that attach the fan to the cross piece.
Hopefully that makes sense. If you have any question, just ask.

P.S. When you cut the square hole in the side case, make sure the four sides of the hole are truley parallel to the four outside edges of the computer.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Those 4 vent holes in the side of the case are 1/2" in diameter.

Remember the fan should be blowing air out of the case.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Also, I would use the same exact fan that I linked to (or one with the same dimensions including thickness), because the hole dimensions I gave are based on that. More importantly, however, is the profile of the fan I linked to. It is a very thin fan, and there is not much room in the computer for it.

The two vent holes at the back of the left side have to be drilled thru both the black side cover and the silver metal cross piece. First do the side side cover, then mark the holes on the cross piece like you did with the square hole. Then take the cross piece out and drill it. No drilling or cutting should be done anywhere near the actual computer itself. If you get a bunch of metal scrap inside the computer, then there is no telling what it might short out when you cut on the power.

donesame

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Wow Nice. Thanks alot. I've ordered all of the parts. Hopefully I'll receive them by Saturday. I have the whole weekend to work on it. lol
Thanks again. You did a great job.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
No problem. One more thing, I'd install the video card (and power supply) before the fan, just to make sure it all fits in there properly together. Just leave the side cover off while installing the vid card, so it doesn't overheat, which shouldn't be a problem once the fan is in there.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Make that two more things: Those dimensions are to the edges of the computer, and NOT to the edges of the side cover.

instant90

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

I was wondering why you bought a new power supply, the provided power supply that dell gave says it's 250w, but it actaully is a 300. I'm wondering if i could keep the power supply the same and just add the video card? Do you think it'll be ok if I were to do this and if I didn't add the extra holes/fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.