Question Help recovering data from raid/dynamic disk

Caimbeul2000

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help with a situation i have. My motherboard died about a week ago so i took the opportunity to rebuild and move from Win10 pro to 11 pro. On Win10 I had 2 drives set up in software raid (1?) so that they were simply mirrored. In moving to the new system, i have less SATA ports available so thought I'd leave these two disconnected and plug them into a dock short-term for access until i sort a NAS or similar. I have just connected one via a docking station and it didnt show in My Computer, so i looked in disk manaement and can see it there as a dynamic disk, but looking online, it would appear that reverting it to a basic disk to read the contents isnt an option without special software.

The question is: Is there any way i can access the drive (simply to copy to another HDD in the interim) with losing all the data? Would disconnecting other SATA drives and reinserting these two make them accessible given that they were set up on a different system and OS?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is a decades worth of family photos :worried:

EDIT: diskmanagement shows "Dynamic Invalid"

Apologies, i have not posted here (or anywhere TBH for a long time. If thise needs to go elswehere, just let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Storage spaces drives can't be simoly moved to a dock and function...

Are you sure the one remaining disk will not show up within Storage Spaces on a different computer? (You only need one drive of the mirror connected to access the data within the original computer, so, sacrifice a DVD drive or any other single SATA drive just long enough to extricate your data safely to a large external drive (or better yet, two drives...)

I know that TestDisk 7.2, and using the GUI app within the folder called 'QPhotoRec' can indeed recover all the data from a failed Windows Storage Spaces mirror, as I tested it even after a quick format/or clean of a drive within diskpart, and was able to find everything that was there prior to quick format or clean operation from within diskpart... (I presume it would still find everything in the docking sled via USB as well, if needed.)

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_7.2_Release

Last edited:

Caimbeul2000

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
Hmm, ok, I htought that the dock worked like an extension of the SATA but as i type this i reralise that wouldnt be the case, it would work like and external HDD. I guess I was thinking that as i am able to insert and swap out internal HDD's with it and was clearly not thinkning straight.

Storage spaces (first time i'd come across this app i think) only shows me the option to create a new pool/storage device...

I'll unplug my BD drive and see if it is visible then. Am i correct in thinking that as long as there is not an issue with the drive itself, windows should be able to simply see the drive contents without me having to do anything special?

As an addendum...

Although some (not sure if all?) USB docks/external drives may be disallowed from initial Storage Spaces eligibility, that function can be reclaimed/gained within disk mngmt by right clicking on the disk number area, selecting 'properties', then the 'policies' tab, and selecting both 'better performance' and 'enable write caching'...

This enabled my docked drive to become it's own Storage Space drive, but, I don't know if that will help you in helping a previously docked drive be re-recognized as a prior storage space via SATA drive....

use caution!
Good luck