Help, silver compound just applied but temps higher...

lljh

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
I just put on some silver compound. I followed all the instructions that I found that said to put a tiny tiny amount on the CPU and then a little bit more than that on the heat sink. I'm using the stock heat sink. My temps started out really good (37-39) but now are showing 51-52 in TAT.

Does it take time for it to work or should it work right at the start?

james11ace

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
yes it does take some time around a few days to set but you might have applied too much
what were your temps before you applied it ?

james11ace

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
if those temps dont go down within a few days
try reapplying but make sure you apply a very small amount almost see through

lljh

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
Is the see through amount supposed to be on both the CPU and the heatsink? The CPU was see-through, but I would say the heatsink was a thin layer but still enough that I couldn't see any of the copper from the base of the heatsink....is that too much?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
like the old brylcream ad "a little dab'll do ya" and spread it around with something thin and stiff,i usually only put it on the heat sink base pre installation mostly,,because it is easier to get at it,and i spread it with a razor blade..like paper thin,it's primary purpose is to fill the micro holes between the cpu/heatsink to ease the transfer of heat....:>)

Mondoman

Splendid
Remember, too, that to properly mount a cpu cooler that uses the Intel 4-pin system, you need to have the motherboard *out of the case* so you can support the back of the board while you press in each pin. You also need to make sure each pin is turned completely in the direction *opposite* the arrow on top before you push it in.
Chances are that you just didn't securely mount the CPU cooler, not that you used too much thermal comnpound.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
This is the reason why you do not listen to instrucions

1) if you follow the instructions it takes 3 -7 days for the compound to flow and seal and wet surfaces

2) do not follow them - reasearch different methods

spread it evenly accoss the entire cpu and use more then say the rest will squeeze out