Question [HELP] Updating to the new intel microcode patch BIOS version as someone who is completely new to all of this.

Aug 31, 2023
Hey y'all, I'm not a big PC guy, been a console gamer my entire life with a fairly capable laptop to play Civ 6 and a few Paradox games. Decided to buy a new PC and installed an i9 13900k with it. Within like a month, two Unreal Engine games started crashing. Thankfully the store that built the PC for me were very helpful and got me a replacement CPU in a week, which has been playing plenty of UE games with no crashes and issues.

I've decided to update the BIOS because it could potentially be a matter of time before this second CPU starts to go haywire. I thought it was just going to be a normal BIOS update I saw a YT video by JayzTwoCents who said something about Intel ME Engine being run to apply the code or something like that. Can anyone please explain this updating process to a beginner? Should I update the BIOS THEN run Intel ME Engine? Or is there something else I need to do?

Also this forum was where I first came across the crashing potentially being a CPU issue back in June 2023. Y'all have been incredibly helpful with the various issues and worries I have as a new PC gamer. A big thank you!

[Motherboard model is a GIGABYTE Z790 UD AX, rev 1.0]

Aug 31, 2023
Hey thanks for the quick reply and for the video link, seems relatively easy to follow for a complete beginner. Do I have to tinker with the Intel ME Software or will the BIOS update apply the microcode fix by itself?