elliotjameshoey

Prominent
Jun 4, 2018
Hi there I am considering upgrading my gtx 1080 for a rtx 2080 bearing in mind my pc was prebuilt and I have very little pc experience.
My current specs are:
I7 8700
Gtx 1080
32gb ram
2tb SATA hdd
256gb ssd
460W Air cooled chassis

My question is, will I have to change anything else in my pc to upgrade to an rtx 2080? Or is everything fine as is?
Thank you everyone in advance, I look forward to hearing your responses 👍

Solution
Well if you are happy enough with performance now, I wouldn't upgrade.

Then if you really want an upgrade, I would suggest seeing if your PSU can be swapped out and then upgrade PSU and GPU.

In a few years as GPUs get more efficient, there may be something that offers much better than GTX1080 performance while drawing an acceptable amount of power for an OEM 460w.

elliotjameshoey

Prominent
Jun 4, 2018
Hi there yes it is alienware, and I'm not sure on the make of the pcu as i don't think it said, as I said total pc noob. I have attached a link to a screenshot of the order confirmation containing all of the parts that came with my pc, I really appreciate you all helping me out. Specs

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
Hi there yes it is alienware, and I'm not sure on the make of the pcu as i don't think it said, as I said total pc noob. I have attached a link to a screenshot of the order confirmation containing all of the parts that came with my pc, I really appreciate you all helping me out. Specs
Ok so yes you will need a new pair which for a prebuilt is either gonna be a pain or impossible. Also what resolutions and frame rate are u trying to hit.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Given that it's a prebuilt and that it's 460W, then, as @C0v3r says, that sounds like a Dell or Alienware.

The RTX 2080 has a TDP of 225W (Founders Edition) and 215W (others, except of course if the board-partners clock them higher, which they typically do with some models).

Dell used to explicitly state that their 460W PSUs will support up to a 225W GPU, not sure if they do anymore - I'm not sure I'm THAT comfortable with the idea of going that close to the PSU's limit - especially given that the Coffee Lake CPUs are known to exceed their official TDP rating, sometimes dramatically, and that it's an i7.

TL;DR - Fourth that: get a better PSU.

ADDITIONALLY: What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither? The answers to those two questions will determine whether it's worthwhile to make the upgrade.

elliotjameshoey

Prominent
Jun 4, 2018
Given that it's a prebuilt and that it's 460W, then, as @C0v3r says, that sounds like a Dell or Alienware.

The RTX 2080 has a TDP of 225W (Founders Edition) and 215W (others, except of course if the board-partners clock them higher, which they typically do with some models).

Dell used to explicitly state that their 460W PSUs will support up to a 225W GPU, not sure if they do anymore - I'm not sure I'm THAT comfortable with the idea of going that close to the PSU's limit - especially given that the Coffee Lake CPUs are known to exceed their official TDP rating, sometimes dramatically, and that it's an i7.

TL;DR - Fourth that: get a better PSU.

ADDITIONALLY: What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither? The answers to those two questions will determine whether it's worthwhile to make the upgrade.
My monitor is 2K gsync 165 hz refresh rate and I can easily hit 60-70 on a combination of ultra/high on most games. But I would love Ray tracing

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
Ok so if ur going for 1440p Ray tracing then good luck with a 2080 you might be able to squeeze 60 fps. but also if you don't wanna use Ray tracing the 2080 will give you a good bump in performance. However idk for sure but you might be able to put an rx 5700xt into there because of its efficiency without doing a psu swap.

elliotjameshoey

Prominent
Jun 4, 2018
Ok
Oh ok then op don't do that
OK so sounds like what I should do is wait till better graphics cards come out to further justify the upgrade as from what I'm reading here the rtx range is not worth it especially if it requires me to change multiple components. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
Ok

OK so sounds like what I should do is wait till better graphics cards come out to further justify the upgrade as from what I'm reading here the rtx range is not worth it especially if it requires me to change multiple components. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?
Maybe but again like we said we don't know if it is possible to stick a new psu in that case which best case scenario you can get a new case and transfer all of the parts but the psu and you can get a new psu and GPU then but I would wait.

elliotjameshoey

Prominent
Jun 4, 2018
A
Maybe but again like we said we don't know if it is possible to stick a new psu in that case which best case scenario you can get a new case and transfer all of the parts but the psu and you can get a new psu and GPU then but I would wait.
OK thank you all for your help I hugely appreciate it, I will try hang back on a gpu upgrade for a few years and in the meantime I will look into whether it is possible to upgrade the power supply to something more like 600w.