Question Help upgrading HP ENVY Desktop - 750-055xt

rumplestilts

Honorable
Feb 12, 2019
Bought the subject machine in 2015. It has a Haswell Core i7 4790 3.6GHz CPU, MSI Kaili2 motherboard, 8GB RAM & GTX 960 GPU. In most respects, I'm fairly pleased with the machine. I swapped in an SSD immediately.

I was wondering if it was possible and advisable to swap in a new CPU - one that would really make a difference. Perhaps a new motherboard with an 8th Gen Core i7? (I do not know whether a new mobo is even an option for this machine.)

I do not play games on my HP; it's used for Adobe Lightroom so I don't think a better GPU would have much of an impact.

Or should I just leave it alone and buy a new machine with an 8th Gen Core i7?

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
You have the max CPU available for that PC "4790 or 4790 K". Changing to a aftermarket motherboard can be tricky with those since that line has proprietary front panel connectors but it can be done since all you need is the power button "2 wires".

rumplestilts

Honorable
Feb 12, 2019
Delaro,

Thanks for your reply. I did a quick search and, not knowing which mobo would work in my HP, I just picked one (an MSI ATX) simply to come up with a cost. Looks like $200. The Core i7-8700K CPU seems to run about $360. Would probably need new RAM modules; let's say $150. So, assuming my Nvidia GTX 960 card would slot into that mobo, I'd have about $700-750 in hardware costs for the necessary upgrade. Looks like about double that price for a new machine. Do you think my cost estimates are reasonable? If so, the next step would be to actually determine the specific mobo that would fit and be mostly plug-compatible. Wonder if HP does the kind of proprietary sh-t that Apple does and I'll find that the power supply isn't compatible. :rolleyes:

Edit: Found a Dell with Core i7-8700 and GTX 1050i for $900. Probably better to just buy new and re-purpose the older machine.

Last edited: