[SOLVED] Help upgrading my PC

Nov 25, 2020
Bit clueless on what I need to focus on next to upgrade my PC, would love to get it ready for cyberpunk 2077. Recently bought a 1650 super, which I know isn't the best but my case is small and it's about all that would fit. I'm not looking to max out, just a relatively good gaming experience. I think my cpu is lacking but don't know how best to pair it.

My stats are -

Motherboard - Aspire T3 - 710. V:1.1

CPU - I5 6400

GPU - GTX 1650 SUPER

RAM - 12GB DDR3

STORAGE - 3TB HHD

PSU - Classic Power 500w 80 plus bronze

Monitor - acer S240HL

I've heard good things about the razen 3600 but maybe this is too good for the gpu and assuming I'd need a new motherboard too for that. As I say, I don't really know but I'd love to get into it more so any help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
With any new processor and motherboard combination, you will need to check the motherboard manufacturer's QVL (Qualified Vendors List) to make sure that the RAM you want to purchase will in fact work with your new motherboard and processor. Also, with Ryzen processors you will need to do a clean install of Windows 10 using the media creation tool and a USB 3.0 thumb drive of at least 8GB. I would suggest watching this youtube video by JayzTwoCents Guide: What to do AFTER building your computer... - YouTube
Nov 25, 2020
Yeah Ryzen 5 3600 is overkill for 1650 super but think about the future you you even make a GPU upgrade without bottlenecking concern however if you just want to stay in budget consider getting a Ryzen 3 3300X which is a very good CPU too. You may need a B series motherboard preferably B450 just make sure it has the updated BIOS

Reactions: polymorph24

DSzymborski

Titan
Bit clueless on what I need to focus on next to upgrade my PC, would love to get it ready for cyberpunk 2077. Recently bought a 1650 super, which I know isn't the best but my case is small and it's about all that would fit. I'm not looking to max out, just a relatively good gaming experience. I think my cpu is lacking but don't know how best to pair it.

My stats are -

Motherboard - Aspire T3 - 710. V:1.1

CPU - I5 6400

GPU - GTX 1650 SUPER

RAM - 12GB DDR3

STORAGE - 3TB HHD

PSU - Classic Power 500w 80 plus bronze

Monitor - acer S240HL

I've heard good things about the razen 3600 but maybe this is too good for the gpu and assuming I'd need a new motherboard too for that. As I say, I don't really know but I'd love to get into it more so any help is greatly appreciated!

Upgrades really depend on your budget for upgrades.

Nov 25, 2020
Yeah Ryzen 5 3600 is overkill for 1650 super but think about the future you you even make a GPU upgrade without bottlenecking concern however if you just want to stay in budget consider getting a Ryzen 3 3300X which is a very good CPU too. You may need a B series motherboard preferably B450 just make sure it has the updated BIOS

Appreciate the response, checking online now to see what the prices are. Is that motherboard good for either 3300x and 3600? I've heard a SSD might be needed too? But then its a new CPU, RAM, SSD and motherboard, which will add up

Nov 25, 2020
Appreciate the response, checking online now to see what the prices are. Is that motherboard good for either 3300x and 3600? I've heard a SSD might be needed too? But then its a new CPU, RAM, SSD and motherboard, which will add up
Yeah you may need a DDR4 ram kit but an ssd is just for faster load time HDDs also work B450 motherboards start from 90$ B450 is good for every budget choice an also provides overclocking support the Ryzen stock coolers are good and mild overclocking can be done

Nov 25, 2020
Yeah you may need a DDR4 ram kit but an ssd is just for faster load time HDDs also work B450 motherboards start from 90$ B450 is good for every budget choice an also provides overclocking support the Ryzen stock coolers are good and mild overclocking can be done
How does the Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7GHz compare?
Can get the Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard + AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7GHz 4 Core (Socket AM4) CPU + Adata XPG Gammix D10 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 for £247

Nov 25, 2020
Its good but 3300X performs better than 3400G and I am sure about it. I just checked the site you linked and found 3300X is not listed. So getting a 3100 is better than getting a 3400G as it is less costly and also provides more performance than a 3400G. All the other components are perfect

Nov 25, 2020
No worries, I'll just buy the CPU from somewhere else if can find it cheap enough. Do i need to worry about what type of RAM or any 16GB will do? Sorry for all the questions but really appreciating this

Nov 25, 2020
Getting a Ryzen 3 3100 also saves cost and gives more performance or getting a ryzen 5 2600 and overclocking it will also be good . I just think getting a 3400G with integrated graphics is a waste of money and performance if you already have a GPU

Nov 25, 2020
Getting a Ryzen 3 3100 also saves cost and gives more performance or getting a ryzen 5 2600 and overclocking it will also be good . I just think getting a 3400G with integrated graphics is a waste of money and performance if you already have a GPU
Yeah, I don't quite understand the overclocking stuff. But pretty much there now I think. I'll get the motherboard and memory mentioned and then decide whether spending an extra £100 is worth future proofing for the 3600 over the 3100. Seeing a lot about 4 cores not being enough soon but i tend to get carried away with this when I probably don't require it.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
With any new processor and motherboard combination, you will need to check the motherboard manufacturer's QVL (Qualified Vendors List) to make sure that the RAM you want to purchase will in fact work with your new motherboard and processor. Also, with Ryzen processors you will need to do a clean install of Windows 10 using the media creation tool and a USB 3.0 thumb drive of at least 8GB. I would suggest watching this youtube video by JayzTwoCents Guide: What to do AFTER building your computer... - YouTube

Solution
Nov 25, 2020
Ah great, thanks for the info! Is this just when switching to ryzen? Because the intel i3 10100 seems to be comparable at a similar price