HELP: Warranty vs. Quality

sweetmisery

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
Here's my problem guys, I need to upgrade my PSU, so it can support the 8600GT I ordered. BUT doing so will void the 1 year warranty of my new hp Pavilion.

In order not to void it, I have to buy where I bought my hp(an hp reseller), but their PSU sucks, an unknown brand which costs $20. While the one I want costs $80 and is quite famous in Asia.

So should I void my warranty for a better PSU? Or just stick with that unknown brand to keep it?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Here's my problem guys, I need to upgrade my PSU, so it can support the 8600GT I ordered. BUT doing so will void the 1 year warranty of my new hp Pavilion.

In order not to void it, I have to buy where I bought my hp(an hp reseller), but their PSU sucks, an unknown brand which costs $20. While the one I want costs $80 and is quite famous in Asia.

So should I void my warranty for a better PSU? Or just stick with that unknown brand to keep it?

I´d go with the cheap one.
The reasoning is easy: Once the warranty runs out, which is in 1 year, you will want a new GPU anyway. Then you can buy a new, probably even better and more powerful PSU to suit your new GPU. If something happens during that year with the cheap PSU, the HP reseller will have to replace anything that cheap thing fries.

99vw

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Is adding a new video card going to affect you warrenty? If so then getting a psu from the HP retailer would be a waste.

If this is the case then you might as well buy the power supply that you want.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
How are they going to know which PSU you have? If something goes wrong with your computer, just put all the original hardware back in and have them fix the computer. They won't be able to tell.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
As hinted at before... don't worry about the warranty. If you do need it simply restore it to the original condition (hold on to your old PSU) before getting it serviced. They will never know the difference (and its not as if replacing a PSU with a better one does any damage).

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Most reputable places will install any PSU you give them for a fee. As long as the work is done by a HP authorized repairman/center you have not voided the warranty.
This was a concern of mine when I first bought a HP prebuilt at Best Buy so I gave them a new PSU to install before I left the store. Now I don't even bother worrying about a warranty. I can fix it faster and better than the goofs they have that work there and the parts are crap any way.
I would just replace the PSU with one you want and as people have pointed out and put it back in if anything goes wrong. Don't worry about it!

sweetmisery

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
that was funny calling them goofs. i guess they are but they were very helpful to me. they cared too much not to install the new PSU coz they are afraid it might burn my computer. haha

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
No offense intended if someone works there.

As a whole, I have found the THG forum peeps infinitely more knowledgeable (if not more entertaining).

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I would go with WARRANTY.

WARRANTY = QUALITY. Coz if they die, they'll replace it for you, so quality is almost assured. Once warranty is out, upgrade whatever you want.